Power lights

fully

Just wondering if someone knows how to completely power down the bike so the red light is off?
I have emailed Stark but no reply yet.
I dropped 4% battery overnight, surely thats not from the bike being in standby (red light slowly flashing)
Any help appreaciated
Thanks
Paul

VargRider1609

Try pressing both up and down buttons at the same time for more than 12 seconds.

You should see a white flash. That indicates that the bike is fully off.

fully

Thanks a lot. Took only about 2 seconds to turn off. Did not like that flashing in my house
Stark support didn't want to tell me how to do it.
Is that so they can stay remotely connected to the bikes?

Chaconne

Thanks a lot. Took only about 2 seconds to turn off. Did not like that flashing in my house
Stark support didn't want to tell me how to do it.
Is that so they can stay remotely connected to the bikes?
You might see a violet or yellow light led from time to time. That means there is a firmware update available. Likely you will go to 12 seconds after that update.

I am not sure if Stark publishes release notes, it would be good if they did, so users could know if a firmware update causes behavioral changes, I only found out about the 12 seconds by holding the buttons down out of hacker's frustration.

Foss

It’s actually not recommended to do a hard shutdown by the way. Stark has officially mentioned that hard shutdowns should only be used for troubleshooting. The standby or hibernation is a mechanism and safety measure to assure battery integrity

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Just reading about all those green, blue, red, yellow, and magenta lights, either flashing or solid, made my head hurt.

Just like the Alta had a few unnecessary physical buttons, the Stark has a few unnecessary status lights.

It’s actually not recommended to do a hard shutdown by the way. Stark has officially mentioned that hard shutdowns should only be used for troubleshooting. The standby or hibernation is a mechanism and safety measure to assure battery integrity
I dislike that the "hibernation" light is a flashing alarming red. Make it slow and barely glowing blue or white. Or no light at all. Then the bike would sit in the garage quietly and I may not itch to shut it down completely after every single ride.

Also, that "hibernation" mode should better not drain the battery. IIC, a typical laptop in its hibernation mode discharges it's battery within a week. Neither do cell phones last very long in the airplane mode.

Foss

Just reading about all those green, blue, red, yellow, and magenta lights, either flashing or solid, made my head hurt.

Just like the Alta had a few unnecessary physical buttons, the Stark has a few unnecessary status lights.

I dislike that the "hibernation" light is a flashing alarming red. Make it slow and barely glowing blue or white. Or no light at all. Then the bike would sit in the garage quietly and I may not itch to shut it down completely after every single ride.

Also, that "hibernation" mode should better not drain the battery. IIC, a typical laptop in its hibernation mode discharges it's battery within a week. Neither do cell phones last very long in the airplane mode.
I agree, even the communication is still broadcasting in hibernation. But according to stark it is not “best practice” to hard shutdown the bike; only for troubleshooting. I had a lengthy conversation with them about this topic. Stark is adamant in keeping the bike in hibernation assuring the battery would be in optimal health and last longer. Batteries are never suppose to hold a charge for long periods of time. I prefer to let them trickle down in charge. I am not an expert, but I am sure others can chime in and comment to how batteries should be cycled. Why storing the bike between 20-50% is recommended by Stark. Also, never to fully discharge the battery to zero and leave it depleted over long periods of time. Also to never fully charge the battery in long periods of time without any discharge at maximum capacity.