Questions from a potential owner

TheSlacker

I'm thinking of buying an Alta Redshift MXR, but have some questions. First, a bit on my background...

I'm 46 years old, and have been riding since I was 6. I'd consider myself a pretty good off-road rider, but haven't done much racing. I've done an occasional motocross race over the years, and will probably do some more in the future (riding in 40+ novice open classes). I'd also like to do some other racing here in the Pacific Northwest (2 hours or less), as well as trail riding.

I like the idea and simplicity of the Redshift, but like most, have reservations about battery life. Motocross isn't a problem, as I can use a generator between motos, but the enduro/cross-country race time concerns me. I'm planning to take one out for a test ride soon, but would like to get feedback from current owners to see if battery time is feasible for me.

Thanks!

Brad

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the Forum, Brad!

My personal trail riding experience is very limited. But what I noticed is that with the Redshift you will want to ride more often. It is just so much fun, much easier, and less stressful and tiring that with the gas bikes. And you can ride just as fast or faster. You will be hooked and will want to ride all the time.

It will not work for 70-mile days once a week, but it will work well for about half of that distance every day of the week.

snydes

Staff member
Hi Brad
Battery life is the hot topic on these. I just got mine Thursday but prior to my purchase I was asking guys like Philip question after question about their ride experiences to try and gauge what to expect. So many variable to take into account, type of riding, riders ability, riders weight, map being used, etc. There has been multiple reports of 2-3 hour trail rides, but that’s not a race pace. I don't know what type or race times you are thinking about, but I would say it's not going to work for an enduro/cross-country race. If you want to run motocross motos and also use it for recreational off road riding than I wouldn't see a problem with that based on everything we know.

Oded

Hi Brad
Battery life is the hot topic on these. I just got mine Thursday but prior to my purchase I was asking guys like Philip question after question about their ride experiences to try and gauge what to expect. So many variable to take into account, type of riding, riders ability, riders weight, map being used, etc. There has been multiple reports of 2-3 hour trail rides, but that’s not a race pace. I don't know what type or race times you are thinking about, but I would say it's not going to work for an enduro/cross-country race. If you want to run motocross motos and also use it for recreational off road riding than I wouldn't see a problem with that based on everything we know.

I agree. Not sure this is the right bike for enduro racing. Even if it will make it, the range anxiety will get you first.
This is a great bike for hard enduro (more popular in Europe) where the riding is slower and more technical, IMO.

WoodsWeapon

I have am MX, not the new MXR, and I will be trying to race a 1 1/2 hour hare scramble in 2 weeks with it. I race 40A and think it will be very close to finishing with my speed and abilities, but the MXR should have more range overall.

TheSlacker

I have am MX, not the new MXR, and I will be trying to race a 1 1/2 hour hare scramble in 2 weeks with it. I race 40A and think it will be very close to finishing with my speed and abilities, but the MXR should have more range overall.

Cool! Be sure to reply afterwards and let me know how much battery was left.

snydes

Staff member

I was following a discussion where someone contacted Alta and asked what range difference could be expected between the MXR and the EX (which should then be the same as the MX). Alta allegedly replied that the range of the bikes would be identical if ridden the same way. The difference with the MXR besides the power increase is that it doesn’t differ in power down to the last bar of power where as the others start cutting back the peaks somewhere around 25% (I think). The other guys will probably chime in and can confirm or deny this.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I was following a discussion where someone contacted Alta and asked what range difference could be expected between the MXR and the EX (which should then be the same as the MX). Alta allegedly replied that the range of the bikes would be identical if ridden the same way. The difference with the MXR besides the power increase is that it doesn’t differ in power down to the last bar of power where as the others start cutting back the peaks somewhere around 25% (I think). The other guys will probably chime in and can confirm or deny this.
That is very interesting. In its MXR press release Alta advertised the ability to run longer 45-minute Pro motos.

Yes, the MX seems to be cutting power when there are a few bars left. Several remaining bars start blinking and you feel less power. This is when I stop jumping all but the smallest jumps, or those that I would clear even when off the throttle.

I am curious to experience how the power will be cutting back in the MXR. I will probably have just enough power left to finish a lap and get back to the charger.

snydes

Staff member
I think most people are under the same impression. Philip, or should I call you “two Alta Phil” now :p, you should be able to give us some excellent first hand comparisons between the two!

TheSlacker

Another question: Since I don't want to spend that much money on a bike, only to have the company go out-of-business after purchase (like what happened to me when I bought a Buell), does anyone have any idea of Alta's financials? Are they well capitalized, have realistic expectations for profit, etc?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Alta is solid. They appear to be sitting on a gold mine, as far as technology and probably patents. Harley Davidson recently bought 20% of Alta because they want their battery tech. They are not short of investors at this point. I am just hoping that they do not sell out. They should not, not any time soon, they just started growing quickly.

snydes

Staff member
Another question: Since I don't want to spend that much money on a bike, only to have the company go out-of-business after purchase (like what happened to me when I bought a Buell), does anyone have any idea of Alta's financials? Are they well capitalized, have realistic expectations for profit, etc?

I'm guessing the Harley investment is only going to serve to increase your anxiety since you had a Buell....

I have no idea on the financial numbers, but it sounds like Alta is doing all the right things, but obviously no company is immune to failure. Alta has an innovative product like nothing else on the market, and I've heard they have a boat load of patents on their technology, so from an outsiders point of view they look like they are establishing themselves properly.

Lets hope years from now electric motorcycles will hardly turn a head and Alta will be a household name.

rayivers

Having lived through the Aermacchi & AMF periods, I think Harley and dirt bikes are kind of like oil and water... :)

Maybe most here have seen it already, but if not, check out one of the pre-Redshift models:silent_hawk_on_white_0.jpg

Ray

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
OMG! This thing has a 2x2 all-wheel-drive!

If you can pour in gasoline in those panniers, this bike will be awesome for the growing adventure travel market.