Redshift in hard enduro

Oded

If you take a look at the Alta's facebook page, you'll find few new video teasers of the Redshift doing some hard(er) enduro riding. Perhaps practicing for the Romaniacs (one of the most extreme hard enduro races).

The Israely forum is having quite a discussion wether the Redshift can do it with no clutch to help in obsttacles hopping.

Also, curious how will the battery replacement take place in such a race...

What do you hardcore motocross guys think?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I do not think the Redshift could be competitive in the Romaniacs. They would have to swap battery packs and that would kill any time gains that they can make on the competition.

I would be more interested in the US Endurocross championship this year. Alta hired a top rider Ty Tremaine to race a Redshift in the whole championship. We will see how it goes.

With proper power delivery tuning clutching up should not be a problem. Alta actually has to tame down the power delivery for us so that we do not loop over. But they can make it wide open, if this is what the rider wants.

Oded

Not familiar with the US endurocross. What is the distance they have to cover. Suitable for one battery?

snydes

Staff member
Yeah I was puzzled by the hard enduro thing. Not sure how that would work as far as the battery. I think the bike would have as many advantages as disadvantages as far as the lack of a clutch in such a situation, but someone who has Graham Jarvis clutch skills isn’t going to go for it. But like Philip already mentioned, I think Alta will have a good shot at endurocross. Anyone know when that series starts?

Oded

Thanks. Basically, it's bringing the natural elements into the arena, and combining them with some motocross. Interesting.

bluefxstc

You could probably fast charge the pack faster than you could swap it. I don't know of a lithium cell chemistry that can't charge at 3C, (3 times capacity) or 20 minutes for a charge. In a race situation you may even be able to go faster. Cell life would probably take a serious hit, but it only has to last one race so not a big deal. The other issue would be the wiring of the pack and bike, but for a race situation this is not insurmountable. You just have to ensure that the charge wiring in the bike can handle the amps. For a 15kw charger at 300V, little over 20 minutes for a complete charge, you are dealing with 50A so nothing really huge and that would go down as pack voltage increases.

Not sure if that would work for Romaniacs, but it is an option.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Got the Endurocross Round one countdown timer going. You should be able to see it above the forum list on a desktop and below the forum list on a smartphone.

WoodsWeapon

Myself and an Alta rep easily changed my battery in 15 minutes, and neither of us had done it before. Several minutes could be shaved from that with experience.
As for the lack of a clutch, after a few woods races/rides, I find it to be a handicap in some situations, but nothing a top shelf racer couldnt overcome.

Gertech

Whatever they're up to, I'm interested to see the Alta tackle some tight and technical obstacles. I've done some playing around climbing over logs and stuff at slow speeds with mine and it's pretty good at that, but I agree that the top racers would probably do better with a traditional clutch setup.

rayivers

It'll be interesting to see electric 2WD evolve - if it's done right I imagine it'll eventually just dominate Endurocross, hillclimbing, etc. (as opposed to the clunky Christini system). I've seen so many instances in the rock / wood sections where the front wheel wedges itself down, 2WD would really help.

Oded

It'll be interesting to see electric 2WD evolve - if it's done right I imagine it'll eventually just dominate Endurocross, hillclimbing, etc. (as opposed to the clunky Christini system). I've seen so many instances in the rock / wood sections where the front wheel wedges itself down, 2WD would really help.

Agreed, and 2wd is not impossible to do with electrics.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Alta already had a military bike concept with AWD. I also asked Marc the CEO about adding the AWD to the Redshift, but he was cautious about such radical innovations on their new flagship bike. It is possible though, and I am sure Alta has some prototype FWD add-on kit collecting dust on a warehouse shelf, waiting for better times.

I am a huge fan of AWD for cars and motorcycles. Half-wheels' drive makes no sense to me from an optimal vehicle dynamics standpoint. The only reason why we do not have a lot of AWD bikes yet is the lagging AWD technology.

A few years ago I was seriously considering buying and racing an AWD Christini bike. But I test rode it and found it clumsy and clunky, with a poor AWD algorithm.

Then I thought about adding a front wheel hub electric motor to my CRF250. But I outsourced this project to an ex-Tesla engineer, who initially was excited about it, but then dropped it in favor of his own pet projects. Eventually, I realized that such a bike would have been too heavy and not any faster on average.

But the Alta already has a battery. All that is needed is a small front hub motor and the software to control it. Piece of cake. Alta should hire me to develop it.

rayivers

The Wheelie King's (Doug Domokos, R.I.P.) secret weapon:

1525792773314.png

NG for EX, but definitely good for a few memories (love the stairs)

Building a lightweight hillclimb bike with two of these might be fun (nothing like a heavy front wheel that earns its keep).