Owner's Review Redshift MXR owners ride review

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
We hold everybody to much higher standards here on the Internet, LOL!

I thought of that get-up-and-go speediness in theory only. Didn't get a chance to test it in practice yet. I fell only twice this whole year -- both are low-speed tip overs in corners. The Redshift should get an IIHS Top Safety Pick Award!

What I discovered last weekend is that if your front wheel wants to jump out or a soft rut, to the inside or the outside, you can just open up the throttle and make a new rut. I could do that in my YZ450F too, but I had to be in the right gear and dumping the clutch. On the Redshift all it takes is opening the throttle!

snydes

Staff member
500 Mile Update
Well, after 33 hours and 500 miles I figured I'd update my review with some thoughts on this bike.

This is without question the most enjoyable bike I've owned. It's predictable and I feel like I have a much higher degree of control of the bike as a whole compared to my ICE bikes. The suspension for my weight and skill has really felt good to me, I am a bit of a lightweight though so that may be part of it. My other bikes all have had their suspensions set up for me and this bike feels better than they do. I don't mean to contradict any of the guys that insist that the suspension is way off, but for me it works. I installed the Alta LHRB and I love it, it definitely contributes to that feeling of total control in your hands.

The problems with the bike that I have experienced so far have been;
1. The little brass inserts at the rear most mounting point of the rear fender have pulled out of the plastic. No crash, just pulled out for whatever reason.
2. My front fender bracket broke off after a muddy track day.

The thing that I absolutely hate about the bike? The factory grips (big deal right). Those things destroyed my hands and couldn't be replaced fast enough.

I've only been riding MX tracks in open practices and at home, so I haven't yet got it on a proper off road ride. Overall I couldn't be happier and I look forward to getting more seat time on this thing.

Thanks for reading!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The thing that I absolutely hate about the bike? The factory grips (big deal right). Those things destroyed my hands and couldn't be replaced fast enough.
LOL! Yeah. I went to ride my MXR without gloves in the backyard for 20 minutes. Got blisters on my palms in new soft places, places where there have never been any blisters before! The following day went to the track wearing gloves, of course, but the blisters from the previous day's let themselves known even through the gloves! I had to finish the practice early. The grips had to go. I cut them with a knife and threw into the trash.

I went with Renthal half-waffle Kevlar grips. Now I can ride without issues, gloves or no gloves.

My MX grips were nice and soft, but not sturdy enough. They got worn out and torn up pretty quickly. Maybe this is why Alta went with the iron grips for the MXR. The grips that would rather destroy your hands than wear out!

Oded

Great review Steve!
The brass inserts on my EX also broke loose, and I had to improvise something. If it helps, than the Zero FX tended to break the rear fender altogether... 😁

I do have blisters after a hard day of riding but I do like the stock grips, I am not sure they are responsible for it. Also, not sure the EX and MXR have the same grips.

These motorcycles are great, no doubt about it.

snydes

Staff member
MXR Ride Review
Ride #(lost count)
Durhamtown Off Road Resort, Union Point, Georgia

Well, not sure how many of you guys care anymore, but I thought I'd share may recent ride at one of my personal favorite spots, Durhamtown Off Road Resort. For me this place is like Disneyland for dirt bikes. Miles of one way trail systems of all types, a dozen different tracks, pro shop, rentals, restaurant, it's a pretty big operation. Anyhow, this was my third time there and my first with the Alta. We loaded up the RV and headed south for some nice riding while the northeast weather still trys to make up it's mind what season it wants to be.

When we arrived we opted for a 50 amp hookup site for the benefit of the 240v connection. You can have an adapter put together to go from the 50 amp RV plug to the charger plug, and then fast charge away. This was the first legitimate off road ride I actually have done with my MXR, so I was anxious to see how it did as far as range. The great thing about this Alta is the versatility you can have. I could rip some laps on an MX track and then head over to some single track and just creep and crawl through the woods with ease. In fact, it was an absolute joy riding this bike in the woods. Such control, it's really an amazing machine. I was averaging 30+ miles with a combination of open trails and tight single track. The bike really fit well with this place. It was a much needed good riding experience. If you ever have the chance, I recommend putting this down as a stop if you find yourself coming through the area.

BEDE8860-B3B6-4846-83CA-81B053DE6F65.jpeg

Trialsman

I have the EXR loaded on the trailer and in the garage for our trip to Highland Park, GA (another great place to ride when the weather is iffy up North). We should be there by Monday morning. Last year I bought the MX there after a test ride and this will be the maiden voyage for the new one, except for a short ride last time it snowed. I didn't even consider taking my FreeRide and am looking forward to putting five days on the Alta.

snydes

Staff member
I have the EXR loaded on the trailer and in the garage for our trip to Highland Park, GA (another great place to ride when the weather is iffy up North). We should be there by Monday morning. Last year I bought the MX there after a test ride and this will be the maiden voyage for the new one, except for a short ride last time it snowed. I didn't even consider taking my FreeRide and am looking forward to putting five days on the Alta.

Highland Park is where I did my demo ride that got me into this "Alta life", it was February 2018. I wanted to buy one of those MX's they had but wasn't equipped to buy! I would DEFINITELY recommend Highland Park over Durhamtown on the weekends. It's madness! I did luck into a Beta Factory demo ride though on Saturday...
D148EFA4-CE64-4598-A2C7-02AB44DDF776.jpeg

Trialsman

Crowds - we try to avoid the weekends for just that reason. Riding Monday through Friday it is almost solitary. Last Year in early March, There was only three others there the whole week and we never saw them on the trail. Glenn got me into Alta life when he let a friend and I share their demo for a test ride. I asked if he wanted us to take about a half hour and stay around the shop. He said have it back by noon or so (over two hours) and we could go on any of their trails in the 1000 acres. I had no intention of buying a bike and had to do some creative financing, but in the end, I found room on the trailer to bring a brand new MX home. Even though I didn't get to use it very much due to several adventure style trips, and it is for sale now, I really am looking forward to riding the EXR all week in an absolutely fantastic place.

zootie

LOL! Yeah. I went to ride my MXR without gloves in the backyard for 20 minutes. Got blisters on my palms in new soft places, places where there have never been any blisters before! The following day went to the track wearing gloves, of course, but the blisters from the previous day's let themselves known even through the gloves! I had to finish the practice early. The grips had to go. I cut them with a knife and threw into the trash.

I went with Renthal half-waffle Kevlar grips. Now I can ride without issues, gloves or no gloves.

My MX grips were nice and soft, but not sturdy enough. They got worn out and torn up pretty quickly. Maybe this is why Alta went with the iron grips for the MXR. The grips that would rather destroy your hands than wear out!
Try ProTaper Pillow Top grips....very nice

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Try ProTaper Pillow Top grips....very nice
I've seen them on other people's bikes. They look a bit thick, which is what I am trying to avoid. My grip is much stronger if I am holding onto thinner grips.

I normally do not ride without gloves. That one time I rode in the backyard was a fluke. I have two MXRs with the stock iron grips and they have been working okay when I kept the gloves on. I will replace then when they get torn or wear out, but so far they have been bulletproof. Like most of the stuff that you don't quite like that happens to last forever, LOL.

zootie

I've seen them on other people's bikes. They look a bit thick, which is what I am trying to avoid. My grip is much stronger if I am holding onto thinner grips.

I normally do not ride without gloves. That one time I rode in the backyard was a fluke. I have two MXRs with the stock iron grips and they have been working okay when I kept the gloves on. I will replace then when they get torn or wear out, but so far they have been bulletproof. Like most of the stuff that you don't quite like that happens to last forever, LOL.
ProTaper also makes a PillowTop Lite which are thinner