Registration in Wisconsin

Caryder

Has anyone successfully titled and registered an Alta EXR in the state of Wisconsin? If so, what were the hoops you had to jump through? WI won’t register my Alta because it’s classified as a off-highway vehicle on NHTSA website. It was originally titled and registered in AZ. The dealership registered it.

WI won’t even agree to inspect it even though I could run a home built through a registration process. Makes no sense to me.

B. FRANK

go to dirtlegal.com, they can legalize anything or your money back. atv's, utv's, golf carts, dirt bikes etc. as long as you have a 17 digit vin# and a mso or bill of sale(hand written is accepted) they will get you a title and a plate. dirt bikes are appx $399. good luck.

Caryder

go to dirt legal.com, they can legalize anything or your money back. atv's, utv's, golf carts, dirt bikes etc. as long as you have a 17 digit vin# and a mso or bill of sale(hand written is accepted) they will get you a title and a plate. dirt bikes are appx $399. good luck.
Thanks Frank. I hope it doesn’t come down to that. Here’s the rub, it already is legal and has the federal compliance certificate on the frame. It’s a clerical error on a website and up to this point the WI DMV hasn’t been willing to look beyond the NHTSA website.

I’m positive this can get cleared up, but so far I’ve only been able to speak to an administrative clerk behind a plastic barrier or on the phone.

When I was at the DMV in Baraboo I offered to have the bike inspected. They told me to send my paperwork to Madison with photos of the VIN and certificated identification on the frame. The result was the same, NHTSA website says off-highway so no está bien. I’m guessing WI doesn’t have the means to inspect vehicles?

So I just need to find a sane person to talk to. Someone that gives a crap what the issue is and is willing to investigate beyond what a website says. It doesn’t help that apparently there were no Alta dealers in WI but I have a really hard time believing I’m the first Alta owner to run into this out of the dozens of EXR or SMs that have been registered but I do know the total quantity of road certified models is pretty low.

standbyu

In Oregon I plated a MXR with number plates and no lights. Took it in for out of state title inspection and change of ownership. After the inspection and back at the window I just said "might as well plate it", she just said OK and I was out of the door plate in hand. Try going to a rural DMV too.

Caryder

In Oregon I plated a MXR with number plates and no lights. Took it in for out of state title inspection and change of ownership. After the inspection and back at the window I just said "might as well plate it", she just said OK and I was out of the door plate in hand. Try going to a rural DMV too.
Baraboo is rural. They sent me to Madison. AZ is much like Oregon in that you can declare the bike has all the proper equipment on it and they will issue a plate. It’s your problem if you get ticketed for driving a non compliant vehicle.

This is an entirely different situation. The bike came from the factory with all the compliance. This isn’t me trying to get a plate for a motocross bike that was never intended for the road.

I’m sure I’ll figure out how to solve this, but B. Frank’s suggestion is looking like an option.

enjoythesilenc

Try to contact the clerk in charge of the website information and get them to fix it?

from the nhsta website:

"
Carolyn Jones January 10, 2018

Faster Faster Inc., dba Alta Motors

185 Valley Drive

Brisbane, CA 94005

Administrator, NHTSA

1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE

Washington, DC 20590

Attention: VIN Coordinator

In Compliance with 49 CFR Part 566, Manufacturer Identification Submittion, Faster Faster Inc. dba Alta Motors would like to submit the following updates and corrections”

Owner of company: Faster Faster Inc. dba Alta Motors is located at 185 Valley Drive, Brisbane, CA 94005. Our zip code was previously listed as 94405. Our WMi is 56P.

Contact Information: Alta Motor’s would like to update it’s contact information to the following:

Attention: Carolyn Jones

Email: Carolyn@altamotors.co

Phone: 1415-230-0755 x 503

Products Manufactured: Alta Motors manufactures all-electric, battery-powered motorcycles. Alta Motors is producting 6 variations of motorcycles in MY2018 all of which will be manufactured and assembled in California. These motorcycles include the two off-road configurations and four on-road configurations of the Redshift.

Riding CapabilityModel NameGVWR (lbs)
ON-ROADSM, SM-R615
OFF-ROADMX, MX-R474
ON-ROADEX, EX-R474

Where SM is an abbreviation for Supermoto, EX is and abbreviation for Enduro, and MX is an abbreviation for Motocross. The R version of each model has a slightly different chemistry in the Lithium-Ion battery cells which will not affect weight, overall power, or range.

Please contact me with any questions.

Sincerely,

Carolyn Jane Jones

Sales Operations Coordinator

415-230-0755 ext 503"

Caryder

@enjoythesilence That’s correspondence from Alta to NHTSA. Can you provide the NHTSA website link to that correspondence? If I contact NHTSA, I’m going to need to direct them to information and show where the discrepancies are. When I enter my VIN information on the NHTSA website it clearly says an EXR is an off road model and that’s what the DMV sees also.

Caryder

I was just on the NHTSA website plugging in VIN #s for all Alta models. MX, MXR, EX, and EXRs all return a red status as an off road vehicle.

“Error Text: 0 - VIN decoded clean. Check Digit (9th position) is correct; 10 - Off-road Vehicle Warning – This is not a vehicle identification number (VIN) for a motor vehicle. This indicates that the manufacturer did not certify this product as complying with the Federal motor vehicle safety standards which are applicable to motor vehicles as defined at 49 U.S.C. 30102.
Manufacturer: FASTER FASTER INC.
DBAs:
Vehicle Type: MOTORCYCLE
Model Year: 2019
Make: ALTA
Model: REDSHIFT
Body Class: Off-road Vehicle - Dirt Bike / Off-Road”

SM & SMRs all return a green status for a road vehicle.

“Error Text: 0 - VIN decoded clean. Check Digit (9th position) is correct
Manufacturer: FASTER FASTER INC.
DBAs:
Vehicle Type: MOTORCYCLE
Model Year: 2017
Make: ALTA
Model: REDSHIFT
Body Class: Motorcycle - Dual Sport / Adventure / Supermoto / On/Off-road”

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
go to dirtlegal.com, they can legalize anything or your money back. atv's, utv's, golf carts, dirt bikes etc. as long as you have a 17 digit vin# and a mso or bill of sale(hand written is accepted) they will get you a title and a plate. dirt bikes are appx $399. good luck.
I am going to try DirtLegal.com. This sounds exactly like what I need right now! Thanks!!!

Caryder

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I contacted the NHTSA website, informed a very nice lady of the error and 45 minutes later it was corrected on the website! Small wonders!
Great job clearing up the issue! VIN stuff is always annoying. Surprised that NHTSA was acting up but the CA DMV had no issues (could be due to the interpetation of the 0 identifier).