Smell of burning electronics

Fod

Hey Guys! Has anyone experienced the smell of burning electronics at the end of there moto(s)? Last couple times I took the bike out, 18'MXR, it was riding real strong but and the end of the motos (Between 40-20% battery left) I can smell burning as if something electronic is overheating. I ride mostly in map 2 to get the longest moto I can. I do feel a slight power loss but then again I do feel the power loss when the batter gets low anyways even before when it would not make the smell. Just wanted to see if it was just me. I do have a big schnoz!

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Fod, do you have a IR temp gun? That will help locating the source. If it smells, its hot, and the IR gun might easily locate the connector.

Sounds like this a first for an Alta, at least on this forum.

Mark911

During the Slam Fest at Milestone it was over 100 degrees. Matt Cerami (the A rider racing my bike that day) reported that he smelled something strange during the last practice session. He even pulled off the track twice to investigate but couldn't isolate the smell. He said it wasn't like anything he's experienced with motorcycles (smell wise) and we checked everything we could for overheating. Nothing particularly out of the normal but the observation was real.
One of the reasons I took my battery pack apart was I suspected that one or two cells actually got hot enough to vent and that's what he was smelling. Upon inspection, I could see no evidence that any cell actually vented. So the mystery continues.

Fod

Fod, do you have a IR temp gun? That will help locating the source. If it smells, its hot, and the IR gun might easily locate the connector.

Sounds like this a first for an Alta, at least on this forum.
Harbor freight to the rescue! So what's a temp that is too high considered? I guess I can aim it at fog 25's seat to see what a high temp really is! Luckily I'm not using a sniffer!

Top Bottom