Stark Varg - Owners Manual

Number Six

Thanks for uploading the file.
As I sit here & peruse the manual while enjoying some particularly good rum .. a few things are of interest.

Warranty. Two years, hooray ! , that's certainly never been done before for a dirt bike.
The thing is though, under the section 'does not cover' you'll notice the following ; (vi) vehicles that have been used in sporting official competition or have been used in rental services or for commercial purposes.
What exactly is ; 'sporting official competition' ?
Any amateur race of any kind, or just sanctioned professional events ? Kind of an important distinction warranty wise for many buyers.

Washing the bike.
From the Stark website ; " For cleaning, we recommend using a power washer. " - In the FAQ section.
From the manual ; Do not use a high pressure cleaner. Water coming from a high-pressure hose can cause damage to the bearings of your motorcycle. Water can also get into the electrical wiring, which can lead to short-circuits in the electrical system.
So yeah ..

In the manual, pg 32 ; recommended operational & storage ranges.
• Temperature: 0 to + 25 °C 32 to 77 °F
• Humidity: 0 - 60%
Seriously ? Surely 'recommended' is to be taken with several grains of salt - maybe the whole bottle.

In all fairness, it is just the initial version of an owners manual by a manufacturer who has never had occasion to produce one .. so it's likely I'm being far too obsessive & critical while consuming info on 'all things Stark Varg' as I wait on mine to be delivered.

Ethos

Thanks for uploading the file.
As I sit here & peruse the manual while enjoying some particularly good rum .. a few things are of interest.

Warranty. Two years, hooray ! , that's certainly never been done before for a dirt bike.
The thing is though, under the section 'does not cover' you'll notice the following ; (vi) vehicles that have been used in sporting official competition or have been used in rental services or for commercial purposes.
What exactly is ; 'sporting official competition' ?
Any amateur race of any kind, or just sanctioned professional events ? Kind of an important distinction warranty wise for many buyers.

Washing the bike.
From the Stark website ; " For cleaning, we recommend using a power washer. " - In the FAQ section.
From the manual ; Do not use a high pressure cleaner. Water coming from a high-pressure hose can cause damage to the bearings of your motorcycle. Water can also get into the electrical wiring, which can lead to short-circuits in the electrical system.
So yeah ..

In the manual, pg 32 ; recommended operational & storage ranges.
• Temperature: 0 to + 25 °C 32 to 77 °F
• Humidity: 0 - 60%
Seriously ? Surely 'recommended' is to be taken with several grains of salt - maybe the whole bottle.

In all fairness, it is just the initial version of an owners manual by a manufacturer who has never had occasion to produce one .. so it's likely I'm being far too obsessive & critical while consuming info on 'all things Stark Varg' as I wait on mine to be delivered.
As of right now I either need an electric blanket or I will need to bring the entire bike indoors during the cold wi winters.

blbills

Nice manual. It would be about half the length if they got rid of the "Danger this may cause serious injury or death" warning labels! LOL.

Was hoping to learn more about the functionality of the app on the phone?

Also I didn't see mention of this "other method of starting" that has been eluded to in previous videos...

wfopete

In reviewing the Owners Manual I did not see a reference to a recommended Sag settings/adjustment with or without rider weight. What does Stark recommend for these Sag settings?

blbills

Also noticed the "Technical Lifespan" being spec'd at 500 hours. I thought that I heard somewhere that the battery would be good for 1000 hours? (>80% SOC)

Chaconne

Sorry to revive this thread but I have been washing my bike with a pressure washer as I saw the FAQ at one point or another. I am using my Varg on trails, single track, and enduro terrain in New England with areas with huge amounts of mud and swampland and etc. There is no way I can clean it without a pressure washer. Anyone have any issues with using a pressure washer since the manual indicates it is not recommended?

rayivers

I have an issue with them, for sure (I used one once in Moab on a rental return, never again), especially after hearing about metal etching, gaskets pushed in, permanent electrical issues, etc. I use 130F water at @ 60psi, even frozen-dirt mountains don't stand a chance. Maybe you could break a bad habit and not void your warranty, a real twofer. :)

Chaconne

I have an issue with them, for sure (I used one once in Moab on a rental return, never again), especially after hearing about metal etching, gaskets pushed in, permanent electrical issues, etc. I use 130F water at @ 60psi, even frozen-dirt mountains don't stand a chance. Maybe you could break a bad habit and not void your warranty, a real twofer. :)
Kind of limited in where and what I can use to wash it. That FAQ was kind of misleading. They pretty much implied the bike could be submerged too but I would have my doubts about that now as well.

I am using my bike more for enduro and deeper and heavy mud are part of it. 130F would likely help but I don't have access to that unfortunately.

rayivers

Kind of limited in where and what I can use to wash it... 130F would likely help but I don't have access to that unfortunately.

Do you have access to water and electricity? Initially my water supply was 150' away and electricity a single ceiling outlet :( but over the years things have changed dramatically - not much money spent, just continuous moderate effort resulting in a comfortable/dry/well-lit/secure environment. Even with what I'd consider nowadays a 'barely acceptable' situation - like an unheated storage unit 50 miles away - it's surprising what can be done with only the absolute basics available if the will is there. Imo relatively small infrastructure improvements can really pay off in increased reliability, especially with a high-performance electric racer like the Stark.

Can you adjust the pressure washer parameters (psi, flow rate, spray pattern, etc.) or is it a gas-station type unit?

Chaconne

Do you have access to water and electricity? Initially my water supply was 150' away and electricity a single ceiling outlet :( but over the years things have changed dramatically - not much money spent, just continuous moderate effort resulting in a comfortable/dry/well-lit/secure environment. Even with what I'd consider nowadays a 'barely acceptable' situation - like an unheated storage unit 50 miles away - it's surprising what can be done with only the absolute basics available if the will is there. Imo relatively small infrastructure improvements can really pay off in increased reliability, especially with a high-performance electric racer like the Stark.

Can you adjust the pressure washer parameters (psi, flow rate, spray pattern, etc.) or is it a gas-station type unit?
No I have no easy access to water or electricity due to my living situation (that's one of the reasons I got the Stark), so I have to wash my bike at a car wash. I guess I will fab something to lower the pressure and also increase the spraying distance.

My situation used to be similar to yours but a divorce left me in tough spot and the Stark along with public stuff like a car wash is all I have now.

rayivers

OK, sorry to hear that - hopefully things will get better soon, starting with the weather! :) Yes, increasing the spraying distance makes a big difference, less focused and much gentler. It would be cool if there was a small trunk-size PW with a 5 gal. water tank or whatever - plug it into 12V and pressure it up, then wash the bike at the trailhead or side of the road. It would surely seem weak compared to the car wash & after truly epic mudfests it wouldn't be enough, but on most days it might be.

Chaconne

OK, sorry to hear that - hopefully things will get better soon, starting with the weather! :) Yes, increasing the spraying distance makes a big difference, less focused and much gentler. It would be cool if there was a small trunk-size PW with a 5 gal. water tank or whatever - plug it into 12V and pressure it up, then wash the bike at the trailhead or side of the road. It would surely seem weak compared to the car wash & after truly epic mudfests it wouldn't be enough, but on most days it might be.
Thanks. I am glad I can still ride.

I will look into a small PW like you suggest. I have an EcoFlow Delta Pro which is portable, so I could use that for electricity if I get a small self contained PW. :)

Theo

They pretty much implied the bike could be submerged too but I would have my doubts about that now as well.
Actually the water pressure at a depth of 4.5 feet/1.3 m, which would be enough to submerge a Varg, would be only 0.13 atm/2 PSI and that would be the pressure at the lowest point of the bike; the electronics, placed higher, would be exposed to an even smaller pressure. Let's say that due to agitation of the water the pressure increases to something more, it would still be way less than the pressure of a pressure washer.

happyinmotion

People don't realise how brutal pressure washers are - 60 psi is the same as 45 metres underwater. That's going to challenge any waterproofing.

If you can trust yourself to only spray the bike away from the seals then go for it but a garden hose and brush works for me with much lower risk.

Chaconne

People don't realise how brutal pressure washers are - 60 psi is the same as 45 metres underwater. That's going to challenge any waterproofing.

If you can trust yourself to only spray the bike away from the seals then go for it but a garden hose and brush works for me with much lower risk.
Actually the water pressure at a depth of 4.5 feet/1.3 m, which would be enough to submerge a Varg, would be only 0.13 atm/2 PSI and that would be the pressure at the lowest point of the bike; the electronics, placed higher, would be exposed to an even smaller pressure. Let's say that due to agitation of the water the pressure increases to something more, it would still be way less than the pressure of a pressure washer.
Agreed pressure and submersion aren't the same and the sealing is not subject the same contact area nor conversely the potential duration of exposure (say duration leading to seepage in the case of submersion). But I really think it is more about assertions in the documentation and the contradictions between the FAQ and owner's manual without actual test specifications that gives pause rather than the actual engineering. For example, how would one know that the pressure from a garden hose is actually less risky?