Stark Varg + Rivian R1T= 🩶

rayivers

According to Rivian their AC outlets supply 1500W max, so I guess the Stark charger's 120VAC power draw is similar to the Alta's (1400W).

I found the quote below at a Rivian forum - apparently this is from Rivian, re using one to supply house power during a blackout:

"To use the bidirectional charging feature to power your house, you can connect your Rivian vehicle to your home's electrical system.This feature allows your vehicle to store and supply power to your home when needed. You can control the charging and discharging of the vehicle's battery through the Rivian app or your touchscreen. Additional details on this bidirectional charging capability will be shared in the future."

To do this, you'd need a powerbox (one-way, vehicle-to-load) or bi-directional charger.

Below is a 3600VA (120V 30A) powerbox setup, which probably could do 240V 13-14A through a step-up device - but If I had an EV + eMC I'd look for a higher-power EU-etc. version (@ 5-6kVA / 240V 20-25A) of this, which imo would be a damn fine solution to the bike-charging problem. :)

Charge-Port Power Hookup (Jeep Rubicon).jpg

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I'm confused why do you need to use the converter with Varg. It can charge directly from 110V outlet.
Charging from 110V at the track is not practical. It is only 14A or 1,500W, so you would have to wait for hours before you notice the battery level rise. Charging from 240V happens at 16A, or about 3,800W. It is still slow compared to what other EVs can charge at, but it is much faster than charging from 110V.

mbw479

The Rivian ute looks the goods, we cant get them in Australia. Are they a good thing? I see the company is losing money, hopefully things pick up for them, I hope they make it to Australia.

Jocke_D

Finally received my Varg after almost a 2 years wait!

Assembly went fine with an exception of foot pegs being really hard to get in. The kickstand is too short as many already mentioned.

Rivian charges the bike with no problem!

This is probably my dream set up. I assume when we get the Rivians here in Europe it will be 230V in the back.
Is there no way of getting 230 out of it?
Can you charge while driving?

Saw someone here towing a Varg with a Kia EV6 and then charging it with the full 3600W from the car. Super nice.