Suspension exchange between Alta and KTM?

Nikita

Is the Alta MXR´s suspension interchangeable with ktm, let´s say 350 2017? Maybe only forks?

If so, what changes in setting should be done? Will several clicks be enough? Or should the psi/spring be changed?

Thanks!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The folk legs should be interchangeable. The KTM is about 20 lbs lighter, so the damping will probably be off. The shock could be interchangeable, but the damping will be off even farther. Why are you asking?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Considering to get CV forks and traxx shock together with the new MXR. Than, it would be a big plus if I could put it on my current KTM from time to time without much adjustment.
This has been done before, you will need new triple clamps because the Cone Valve forks are larger in diameter. @Mark911 knows all about it.

You might have to keep a slightly stiffer (stock??) rear spring for the MXR and a softer one for the KTM. Clicking some clickers might be enough, depending on where the baseline damping is at.

Mark911

48mm CVs should work with the stock triples (mine are 52mm CVs as opposed to the standard 48mm CVs). Not sure about the rear shock on the MXR. The TRAX shock will fit but it takes some grinding on the frame around the top mount. My 17 used the 490mm length shock. Not sure what the new MXR length is, however. Frankly, most everyone locks out the TRAX mechanism anyway, so it's not a big change from the stocker.

Mark911

Note, I noticed that the triple clamps on my 17 were quite soft. Not sure if it was the material, heat treat, etc. They just seemed to flex a lot and would stretch when tightening the pinch bolts (even to stock torque specs). I'd be curious if Alta changed the clamps for the MXR. If not, one of the aftermarket clamps companies needs to jump in. Unfortunately, the tube Ctr-Ctr distance is greater than the KTM, so unless you run a KTM front wheel the aftermarket KTM clamps won't work.

Nikita

48mm CVs should work with the stock triples (mine are 52mm CVs as opposed to the standard 48mm CVs). Not sure about the rear shock on the MXR. The TRAX shock will fit but it takes some grinding on the frame around the top mount. My 17 used the 490mm length shock. Not sure what the new MXR length is, however. Frankly, most everyone locks out the TRAX mechanism anyway, so it's not a big change from the stocker.
@Mark911, why would people lock out the traxx mechanism? Fun! Isn't it exactly what makes it that good (on paper anyway)?

Mark911

The Trax mechanism is designed to get the rear wheel back to the ground (when it's unloaded) as fast as possible. This works well in the whoops as you can get good drive. However, under braking when the rear is very light the faster rebound allows the rear to jack up compared to the front. This can cause headshake when braking into corners with sharp braking chop. It's a personal thing, some people never notice it but it can get rather exciting in a bad way. There are other differences between the stock shock besides the Trax mechanism (which can be a maintenance pain). Completely separate low and high speed circuits, finer adjustments, etc. Probably not anything worth the replacement cost unless you have your own valving data for one shock or the another like I do.