Tesla ATV and Cybertruck

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
And how far will it tow that load? They may have an impressive range empty, but so does my ice truck, attach my 12000 lb toy hauler and it's cut in half. How practical will the cybertruck be for towing?

I'm not sure I understand where you're going with that. Does any truck manufacturer provide MPG ratings for towing massive loads? AFAIK, all of them provide EPA estimated mileage which is based on the truck as it rolls out of the showroom, with 0 payload and 0 towing load.

Range is cut in half because your ICE has to use much more gasoline to accelerate much more weight, fight through the extra drag produced by the flat back of the trailer, and (if the trailer has a larger frontal area than the tow vehicle) pull a larger object through the air. You can expect roughly the same % of range decrease with the Tesla, maybe actually less % of a hit since electric motors do not have drastic "brake specific fuel consumption" gradients like typical ICE's do. Also, you get regenerative braking with an electric truck, whereas all of your braking is wasted energy on an ICE truck.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
My point (I think) is I am not sure how practical the tow rating of the Tesla really is... If it looses as much range as my ice truck does, it would only be useful for towing short distances.

The problem I see mostly, is the Tesla would need to be charged when arriving at the destination so there is enough reserve in the battery to run the electric toys while out, and have enough left to make it home. I know, a small and easily compensated for issue.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
My point (I think) is I am not sure how practical the tow rating of the Tesla really is... If it looses as much range as my ice truck does, it would only be useful for towing short distances.
It will be cheaper to tow stuff by an order of magnitude. Buy the 500 mile version, then you should be able to get from one supercharger station to another anywhere in the US. You'd have to plan the trip and allow for charging times, but you will be able to travel farther and for less money.

Add solar panels on the roof of your trailer and you will be able to travel cheaper, and stay there longer.

Can the Tesla truck be charged while it is driven?

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Do supercharger stations have pull through spaces that could accommodate the truck with trailer attached? Most I have seen would require parking a trailer somewhere off-site... Or block multiple spaces doing an imitation of the semi.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I haven't seen any pull through chargers. The mall I occasionally go to has a dozen chargers in a row. The most I've seen is 4 Tesla's there at any one point.

Dropping a trailer that has an electric tongue jack is no problem to drop. 2 minutes max. I assume the CT will have a camera pointing to the hitch, making it easy to get under the trailer tongue.

bluefxstc

Do supercharger stations have pull through spaces that could accommodate the truck with trailer attached? Most I have seen would require parking a trailer somewhere off-site... Or block multiple spaces doing an imitation of the semi.
Some do, most don't. Superchargers are spaced about every 125-150 miles on major routes so that will not be a problem. The issue will be when you leave major routes. I find that long trips take a little longer in my Tesla, but I more than make up for that by not having to go to gas stations in town. Overall it is a time saver, but long trips do take a little longer and that will be extended if you are towing and using more energy.

F451

I'm really looking forward to when these e-pickups actually hit the road. My money is on the Rivian or Ford versions as being the most "standard pickup truck" like of the bunch. I was so disappointed in the design of the Tesla. There's a reason the best selling pickups all look the same, form follows function.

Slanted bed walls are a major pain the a** if you actually use your pickup as a pickup (see the Honda Ridgeline design iterations for example). Don't even get me started on the ridiculous low/no headroom rear seat (assuming there's a rear seat in there).

And the steel exoskeleton, again, another ridiculous solution to an unknown problem. I'm very curious how it will do in crash testing. By all accounts the Tesla's are highly rated for safety, so I would expect the pickup will be the same, but we will see.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I'm really looking forward to when these e-pickups actually hit the road. My money is on the Rivian or Ford versions as being the most "standard pickup truck" like of the bunch. I was so disappointed in the design of the Tesla. There's a reason the best selling pickups all look the same, form follows function.

Slanted bed walls are a major pain the a** if you actually use your pickup as a pickup (see the Honda Ridgeline design iterations for example). Don't even get me started on the ridiculous low/no headroom rear seat (assuming there's a rear seat in there).

And the steel exoskeleton, again, another ridiculous solution to an unknown problem. I'm very curious how it will do in crash testing. By all accounts the Tesla's are highly rated for safety, so I would expect the pickup will be the same, but we will see.
Rear seats. Check.
1574882105685.jpg

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Stainless steel body/frame/exo-skelton/monocoque, whatever you want to call it, as long as it isn't too brittle (and stress cracks), that for me!

My cars rot out from underneath me. I had 600k miles on my TDI and I replaced nearly every body panel at least once. The New England roads are murder on cars.

I just scored a 2006 Sprinter van I'm going to use as a motovan. It's in awful condition! Rust everywhere. Brake lines rotted through all over the place.

I'm excited about this Cybertruck. 2-3 years is going to be a long wait, I just hope it doesn't change much when they try to get it through DOT regulations.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I'm excited about this Cybertruck. 2-3 years is going to be a long wait, I just hope it doesn't change much when they try to get it through DOT regulations.
Aren't you going to miss your favorite sound and smell of a diesel engine? I think I may have a solution for you. You can load your diesel powered Alta supercharger into the Cybertruck's bed. Then you will have regained all the attributes of having a diesel truck, plus you'd never have to visit Tesla charging stations! :)

F451

Stainless steel body/frame/exo-skelton/monocoque, whatever you want to call it, as long as it isn't too brittle (and stress cracks), that for me!

My cars rot out from underneath me. I had 600k miles on my TDI and I replaced nearly every body panel at least once. The New England roads are murder on cars.

I just scored a 2006 Sprinter van I'm going to use as a motovan. It's in awful condition! Rust everywhere. Brake lines rotted through all over the place.

F150 has had an aluminum body/bed for years now.

And not trying to convince you to buy an F150 vs an eventual Tesla pickup purchase, just mentioning it since you mentioned cars rotting out from underneath you. One thing I do not miss about living back in NJ.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Took me a couple hours to learn to love it. Reserved Dual Motor and soooooo excited!
My coworker was asking me a bunch of questions about the Cyber Truck and he was thinking of putting a deposit down. As I researched the issue, I went ahead and reserved a dual motor truck as well. I will be financing this vehicle for at least 72 months when the time comes. When I reserved mine,there was a note about final options being available when the truck becomes available in 2+ years. I hope I can get the dual motor version with the bigger 3 motor version battery. I have no idea if this will be an option.

Wheelsick

Lo
My coworker was asking me a bunch of questions about the Cyber Truck and he was thinking of putting a deposit down. As I researched the issue, I went ahead and reserved a dual motor truck as well. I will be financing this vehicle for at least 72 months when the time comes. When I reserved mine,there was a note about final options being available when the truck becomes available in 2+ years. I hope I can get the dual motor version with the bigger 3 motor version battery. I have no idea if this will be an option.
lol. You & 500,000 others with $100 refundable deposits.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Lol. You & 500,000 others with $100 refundable deposits.
Hmm... If Alta had unveiled the SMR, the ST, and some other cool concept, and collected 1/10th of what Tesla collected in refundable deposits, they would have still been in business.

...like an Alta quad with two battery packs and a 100-mile range.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Aren't you going to miss your favorite sound and smell of a diesel engine? I think I may have a solution for you. You can load your diesel powered Alta supercharger into the Cybertruck's bed. Then you will have regained all the attributes of having a diesel truck, plus you'd never have to visit Tesla charging stations! :)

Oh, I'll haul around a small 12kw 3 cyl diesel generator in the back of that thing if I need to! Imagine the horror of all the Tesla fans? Hahahhahaa!