Tesla Powerwall

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
UPDATE 2023-03-13:

Apparently, Tesla Powerwall is now available for purchase without having to buy solar installation with it.
$9,200 each. Additional units are just $8K each. And they already have a 5 kW 110/220V split phase inverter in it!

There is also a 30% Federal tax credit for it, so the cost for the first unit will be just $6,440, and $5,600 for additional units.

Specs:

I just booked one, so let's see if they will call. I have a perfect place for it in my van on the floor behind the driver's seat, but I think a flat installation is not approved.

Sounds interesting, so what has changed your mind from this:

I have an update.

NO TESLA POWERWALL FOR ME.

On Sunday I sent $500 to Tesla to reserve a Powerwall. It was fully refundable, so why not? I hoped some technically knowledgeable person from Tesla would call me on Monday and talk me into into installing their product in my van.

That never happened.

Today I re-read the deposit confirmation email, and I noticed it said:

We will reach out to you as Powerwall becomes available in your area.
For questions, please call (725) 333-7731.

So I called. Here is the lowdown:
- The wait is 6-9 months
- Sold and installed only through authorized installers
- The installation cost is $1-3K
- I have to pay the sales tax
- Tesla won't allow an installation in a van
- Called installer -- they won't install in a van.

With the total cost of $8-10K, I'd rather keep my MX indefinitely, or buy a spare (third) Redshift to charge and carry around.

I canceled the order and will be getting my $500 back.

It was an interesting and educational exercise. Thanks, Tesla.

To this:

UPDATE 2023-03-13:

Apparently, Tesla Powerwall is now available for purchase without having to buy solar installation with it.
$9,200 each. Additional units are just $8K each. And they already have a 5 kW 110/220V split phase inverter in it!

There is also a 30% Federal tax credit for it, so the cost for the first unit will be just $6,440, and $5,600 for additional units.

Specs:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default.../Powerwall 2_AC_Datasheet_en_northamerica.pdf

I just booked one, so let's see if they will call. I have a perfect place for it in my van on the floor behind the driver's seat, but I think a flat installation is not approved.

SubSonic

I use 2 tesla model S battery bricks to charge a surron -
using Victron Phenix 1200watt PS inverter -
this inverter will operate down to 19v ( only one time have gotten this low )
surron charger draw is 650w at 120v
at this load inverter fan very quiet -

with all the new LFP batteries available - likely the way to go - easier

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds interesting, so what has changed your mind from this:
Sorry for a slow response. I had to meditate on it...

The prices of batteries and Inverters are going up, but the prices of various powerwalls keep going down. Then, there are now also tax incentives offered. It is starting to make more sense to buy an integrated solution. Plus, with a brand name like a Tesla Powerwall, you can always re-sell it used, as opposed to various standalone components pretty much being destined for a junkyard.

Still though... Tesla hasn't called. It's been 6 months.

But now I am relocating from Michigan to Arizona, so maybe they will call if I update the address in my Tesla account. I do not know. I am not holding my breath.