The old range question and some other weird thing

Butch

Poseur
I have an EX with 17s and is an awesome supermoto and I live at the bottom of heaven.

anyho, Mt Hamilton rd is about 20 miles, 4K vertical and 400 turns to the top.
so the other day, I ride up there, keep it under 40 mph and have a bit less than 50% SOC indicated. Cool.

so I turn off the key, and fart around for a bit.
when I turn the key on the display shows about 30%. Uh?

i put it in mode 1 and was way mellow and made it home, blinky mode at about 38 miles. Home was 39.5.

still, big fun.

4F74352A-AD04-4B57-B21C-49F3EF38C8FE.jpeg

Oded

I also noticed some soc difference after I toggle the key on my EX, but not to that extreme.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
This SOC display situation was discussed in a thread a couple of years ago. One of the ex-ALTA guys described what was happening at a somewhat technical level. I interpreted that as the system recalibrates the measurement when you turn the key back on to a more accurate readout. I have seen it happen many times, although typcally only a one bar change. Unfortunately, I've never seen it go up; always recalibrates to show a lower SOC.

And nice picture.

Caryder

My EXR does the same thing, sometimes significantly different (a few bars instead of 1), and always lower when turned back on. I have also just eaked out 40 miles on asphalt but with little elevation change.

Caryder

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
This SOC display situation was discussed in a thread a couple of years ago. One of the ex-ALTA guys described what was happening at a somewhat technical level. I interpreted that as the system recalibrates the measurement when you turn the key back on to a more accurate readout. I have seen it happen many times, although typcally only a one bar change. Unfortunately, I've never seen it go up; always recalibrates to show a lower SOC.

And nice picture.

Thats exactly it. The BCU is reading the cell voltages via the BMS (LTC Chip on the module) There is a bit of voltage sag and when the bike fires up it does a re-calibration.