Titling

Kurlon

I'm contemplating an MXR that will be setup for Supermoto racing. I'd also like to register it for light street duty as I've got trail access within a couple miles of my house. In Maine if the bike is under 300cc, it's easy as there is no title involved, you just street register it and bam, you've got a plate. I dunno how Maine treats electrics yet but am assuming they'll want to title it. Does the Alta MCO say "off road only" like say, a Yamaha YZ450 one, or are they like KTM and don't specify that detail?

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
It does not say ‘Off Road Only’. I can confirm that.

I called the CT motor vehicle department yesterday to ask what was needed to register an electric motorcycle. I got put on hold for 17 minutes. I then tried reaching the Inspection dept and no one answered.

I plan on plating my MX to ride Pachaug State Forest which is close to me.

rayivers

I called the CT motor vehicle department yesterday

AFAIK, CT still considers e-bikes scooters, and doesn't require registration. I've been pulled over twice and also talked to several curious cops, and haven't had any issues.
As soon as the CT DMV thinks they're losing tax revenue, this will change. :(

Here's some CT DMV info from dmv.org:

CT Scooters, Mopeds, & Motorbikes

Connecticut defines motor-driven cycles as any moped, motor scooter, or motorbike with an engine displacement
of fewer than 50 cc and a seat height measuring 26 inches or more.

Both teen and adult drivers need a basic driver’s license (Class D) to operate motor-driven cycles.

The CT DMV doesn’t require registration for motor scooters, mopeds, or motorbikes.

Ray

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
AFAIK, CT still considers e-bikes scooters, and doesn't require registration. I've been pulled over twice and also talked to several curious cops, and haven't had any issues.
As soon as the CT DMV thinks they're losing tax revenue, this will change. :(

Here's some CT DMV info from dmv.org:

CT Scooters, Mopeds, & Motorbikes

Connecticut defines motor-driven cycles as any moped, motor scooter, or motorbike with an engine displacement
of fewer than 50 cc and a seat height measuring 26 inches or more.

Both teen and adult drivers need a basic driver’s license (Class D) to operate motor-driven cycles.

The CT DMV doesn’t require registration for motor scooters, mopeds, or motorbikes.

Ray

Ray, do you have a light kit on your bike? I can see this being an issue with the Rangers at Pachaug.........

rayivers

Ray, do you have a light kit on your bike? I can see this being an issue with the Rangers at Pachaug.........

My Zero has headlights (running lights only) and a speedo/dash unit, nothing else. I've ordered an EX headlight unit for the MXR (non-functional, just for show). I've only been to Thomaston with a street-plated ICE bike, the guy there was only interested in the plate (the dam is Army Corps of Engineers though, maybe it's different).

Ray

Kurlon

So in theory getting a plate will be pretty easy, $290 in excise tax, proof of sales tax paid, fee for new plates plus reg.

Now if I could just find the actual invoice on an MXR so I could compare against MSRP to determine if it's worth trying to play the sales game or just accept the book price... :D

Elite Motorsports

I am not 100% sure on the process for Maine, but most states just require a state patrol inspection ensuring that the minimum requirements for a street legal bike have been met. Some states only require that you sign a statement of compliance. It is always good to go through with the inspection if required (even if the MSO does not state for offroad use only). We used to be on the honor system in CO until too many knuckleheads decided to cheat the system.

Kurlon

Maine is pretty easy, it's all light paperwork, the only inspection comes after you've got insurance / reg and even then only 30% of registered Maine motorcycles actually get an inspection sticker.

So after figuring all this out, verifying financing and that I can afford it, there is a demo going on at the nearest dealer and I'm sitting at home, wrenching on my 1992 WR250ZD converted to sumo duty. All the things that were wrong and needed time/money to sort at the end of last year still do, engine needs a teardown, new seals everrywhere, suspension should have all the bearings replaced, shock should be rebuilt, one rear wheel is busting spokes and the other was built incorrectly and needs new spokes just to center properly... and I can't quit pull the trigger on the MXR knowing the WReck would be cheaper to revive. Bah.

Duncan

That's interesting that CT DMV considers an electric motorcycle to be a scooter.
I will be seeing how RI handles it but for now I am waiting to receive the CO from Alta.
One related thing I wanted to throw out there is: anyone find reasonable insurance coverage?
My insurance agent has done a lot of searching but so far has only found one carrier that will bind comp, collision and liability: Foremost.
But annual premium is steep at $415.
Other carriers say they will cover liability only.
These days bikes are getting stolen at a high rate thus I am looking for that comprehensive coverage.

Rode yesterday in Bear Den forest area MA/CT, highly technical thus only got about 23 miles on a charge.

Kurlon

Once State Farm researched the MXR, they quoted me $23/mo for it vs $10/mo same coverage on my 2009 KTM 300 XC-W.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
I got a call back from the Ranger station at Pachaug in CT. If its electric, it doesnt need to be registered to ride there! CT doesn’t consider electric motorcycles a motorcycle, therefore it doesn’t need to be registered. You need a license, but not even a motorcycle license. The ranger was very nice and encouraged me to ‘enjoy it while it lasts’ with a chuckle. He suggested I ride with a paper copy the CT statute to avoid a ticket.

It’ll be a few weeks before I can get there to ride.

snydes

Staff member
One related thing I wanted to throw out there is: anyone find reasonable insurance coverage?
My insurance agent has done a lot of searching but so far has only found one carrier that will bind comp, collision and liability: Foremost.
But annual premium is steep at $415.
Other carriers say they will cover liability only.
These days bikes are getting stolen at a high rate thus I am looking for that comprehensive coverage.

Rode yesterday in Bear Den forest area MA/CT, highly technical thus only got about 23 miles on a charge.

Did he try Nationwide? It could be a state to state issue, but I have full coverage on multiple bikes including the Alta for less than that quote.

Duncan

OK thanks, I will ask my insurance agent about State Farm and Nationwide.

Did a very tight single track ride Saturday and battery was about empty at only 20 miles. But realize that this is the type of terrain that would suit a trials bike. My stamina was empty too.

Wish dashboard had a re-settable odometer.

Totally happy with the bike.