Top end

73Thing

I took my WP AER48 forks apart to replaced the seals and oil. After much fiddling I have the suspension close to my liking.
The only thing I have a question about is the very top end of the forks. You can push and pull the first inch up and down with out any pressure. Is this acceptable?
I need to add that the forks have been converted to spring.

Mahalo NealIMG_2520.jpeg

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
That's either too little preload on the spring(s) or fork seal stiction, or you have negative pressure in the forks (cracking the bleeder on each one will normalize).

Mark911

If the forks were assembled properly when the spring conversion occurred, they should have set the correct amount of preload, say 10mm. Assuming that, the only way you'd have that much free (unsprung) travel is if the forks were not assembled correctly after changing the seals. If they were like that before you did the seal work then someone before you didn't assemble them correctly. I'm assuming they were/are KYB spring conversion forks, but the same goes for any air to spring conversion . . . . you shouldn't see that much free travel. Possibly a top out spring(s) was/were left out.

Negative pressure would literally suck the forks down after each time you extended them, so pretty easy to recognize. However, I've never seen it actually overcome properly preloaded springs more than a tiny bit, certainly not over 1 inch. Something definitely isn't right.