Ty Tremaine and Lyndon Poskitt to race in the Erzberg Rodeo

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
ALTA MOTORS SET TO ELECTRIFY THE ERZBERG RODEO
TY TREMAINE AND LYNDON POSKITT TO RACE

May 08, 2018 By Donn Maeda

Redshift1-600x338.jpg
Alta Motors Competes for the Podium at the Erzberg Rodeo--the Most Challenging One-Day Motorcycle Race in the World
Alta Motors, the leader in performance electric motorcycles, will make two-wheel history as the first electric motorcycle factory race team to compete for the podium at the Erzberg Rodeo. Ty Tremaine and Lyndon Poskitt will ride the next generation of Alta's popular off-road Redshift to compete against gasbike competitors. By entering the Erzberg Rodeo, Alta continues to prove that its electric motorcycles are capable of competing at the highest level. Part of the Red Bull Hard Enduro Series, Erzberg Rodeo is a 35 km race in the mountains of Austria where riders attempt to summit steep hillclimbs and daunting obstacles such as rock beds, boulder fields, and slick, wooded sections.

TTremaine_Headshot-450x600.jpg
Ty Tremaine
Over 2,000 riders attempt to qualify for 500 starting slots in the main event. Only a small handful go on to finish the race within the four-hour time limit. In 2017, only 25 riders completed the race, and in 2016, only 9. Erzberg will be Ty's first time tackling Erzberg, but his experience as a two-time X Games Finals competitor signals he will be a force to be reckoned with on the "Iron Mountain." "Having the opportunity to make history by riding the first electric is an honor," commented Ty Tremaine. "After the past few months racing the Redshift, I am confident it will give me my best shot at conquering the Iron Mountain." Alta Motors also secured Lyndon Poskitt, a professional off-road racer, Dakar rally veteran, and producer of the popular off-road motorcycle travel series, Races to Places, to race the Redshift at Erzberg. His extensive experience as a professional rider and previous participation at Erzberg will make him a serious contender at this year's race. "After challenging Erzberg on a rally bike last year, I'm eager to see what I can accomplish on a premium bike that is designed specifically for this environment," said Lyndon Poskitt. "Partnering with Alta made sense because they've built a bike that delivers the control and power critical for this type of race--it just happens to be electric."
LPoskitt_Headshot-600x399.jpg
Lyndon Poskitt
"We built the Redshift to compete head-to-head with the best gas bikes in the most brutal environments in the world. The Erzberg extreme enduro is the place to demonstrate that," said Alta Motors Chief Technical Officer and co-founder, Derek Dorresteyn. "The race comes at a time when electric bikes are struggling for acceptance in international competition. We are grateful that the Erzberg organizers share our belief that competition should be about advancing technology--not restricting it--and that they are providing a platform to demonstrate that electrics should have the right to compete." About Alta Motors Alta Motors is a global leader in lightweight electric vehicles with a proprietary mobility platform that offers new levels of power density and economics. It leads the industry with a complete portfolio of battery and drivetrain components, an existing fleet of lightweight vehicles manufactured at its world-class Brisbane, California, facility and a full customer backlog. Alta's award-winning Redshift platform is now available to riders at over 50 U.S. dealerships across the United States. Please visit us at: www.altamotors.co
Redshift2-600x338.jpg

Source: Transworld Motocross

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
For me it is much easier to do treacherous hill climbs on an Alta, compared to a 2-stroke. But if I had to lift the bike and carry it over the mountain that would be a different story.

rayivers

if I had to lift the bike and carry it

I've only watched one Erzberg Rodeo event, but in it I saw a number of riders lifting & carrying their bikes, for short distances obviously. There was also an absolute ton of pushing bikes up steep hills / through heavy brush / over obstacles etc. At most really bad spots there were lifters stationed to help out, but when (did I say if? :) ) the riders fall down on the rest of the course, they're on their own. Apparently the vast majority of them drop out from sheer exhaustion. No doubt electric drive will be a big benefit most of the time, but when push comes to shove - as it certainly will - dozens of extra pounds of bike weight will every bit as welcome as a sand-filled backpack. :(

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Damn. That's hard.

Would trials bikes and easy-to-carry electric bicycles be in a different class, I suppose? Else they might win, and win overall, LOL!

Gertech

I'm excited to see how they do. Even more interested in how they'll complete the race as far as batteries go. It's like 4 hours, so they'll surely have to do a battery change or two.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
From Alta Motors, today:

up_Alta_Hubspot_01-6.jpg?t=1526328177166&width=606&height=659&name=EmailMockup_Alta_Hubspot_01-6.jpg
EmailMockup_Alta_Hubspot_02-2.jpg?t=1526328177166&width=606&name=EmailMockup_Alta_Hubspot_02-2.jpg

Alta Factory Racing team riders, Ty Tremaine and Lyndon Poskitt, will make history as they pilot the first electric motorcycles ever to compete for the podium at the Erzberg Rodeo, the most challenging off-road event in the world.

Part of the Red Bull Hard Enduro Series, Erzberg Rodeo is a 35 km race in the mountains of Austria where riders attempt to summit steep hillclimbs and daunting obstacles such as rock beds, boulder fields, and slick, wooded sections. Over 2,000 riders attempt to qualify for 500 starting slots in the main event. Only a small handful go on to finish the race within the four-hour time limit. In 2017, only 25 riders completed the race, and in 2016, only 9.

Erzberg will be Ty’s first time tackling Erzberg, but his experience as a two-time X Games Finals competitor signals he will be a force to be reckoned with on the “Iron Mountain.”

“Having the opportunity to make history by riding the first electric is an honor,” commented Ty Tremaine.“After the past few months racing the Redshift, I am confident it will give me my best shot at conquering the Iron Mountain.”

Alta Motors also secured Lyndon Poskitt, a professional off-road racer, Dakar rally veteran, and producer of the popular off-road motorcycle travel series, Races to Places, to race the Redshift at Erzberg. His extensive experience as a professional rider and previous participation at Erzberg will make him a serious contender at this year’s race.

“After challenging Erzberg on a rally bike last year, I’m eager to see what I can accomplish on a premium bike that is designed specifically for this environment,” said Lyndon Poskitt. “Partnering with Alta made sense because they’ve built a bike that delivers the control and power critical for this type of race—it just happens to be electric.”

“We built the Redshift to compete head-to-head with the best gas bikes in the most brutal environments in the world. The Erzberg extreme enduro is the place to demonstrate that,” said Alta Motors Chief Technical Officer and co-founder, Derek Dorresteyn. “The race comes at a time when electric bikes are struggling for acceptance in international competition. We are grateful that the Erzberg organizers share our belief that competition should be about advancing technology—not restricting it—and that they are providing a platform to demonstrate that electrics should have the right to compete.”

Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Instagram for daily updates from Erzberg.
Alta_Grey.png?t=1526328177166&width=160&name=Alta_Grey.png

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
“We built the Redshift to compete head-to-head with the best gas bikes in the most brutal environments in the world. The Erzberg extreme enduro is the place to demonstrate that,” said Alta Motors Chief Technical Officer and co-founder, Derek Dorresteyn.
Sounds like Alta is really serious this time about finishing the race, and perhaps even showing a good result... or maybe even winning.

They obviously do not want to raise the expectations too high, but such statements are telling me that they are definitely not joking around.

snydes

Staff member
I’m relatively puzzled by the whole thing, but as you say their confidence also leads me to believe they know things we don’t.

Oded

I wonder how will they adress the battery range issue. Will there be a replacement team in one of the pit stops? Don't see the Redshift finishing the race on one battery.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Don't see the Redshift finishing the race on one battery.
Why not? I routinely cover 20 miles (32km) at a motocross track and 40 miles (64km) off-road. Alta could squeeze out a few more miles out of the battery If they really want to. I think it would last the 35km of the Rodeo, if the wheelspin is kept to a minimum.

Oded

I ride with the Ex about 50 km of enduro on map 2-3.

Erzberg is a lot tougher with quite a few open fire roads where they blast away at high speed (fast riding empty the battery much quicker than technical riding). In addition, some nasty hill climbs with open throttles.

I think it's boarderline, battery capacity wise. On the other hand, I guess Alta made the calculations.they're proffesionals, and Stopping in the middle of the race because of empty battery will be very bad publicity for them..

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Alta has repeated that the battery packs our bikes have will last 1000 charging cycles without performance degradation, so it would be safe to assume that the bike and the charger are working together to prevent overcharging and over depletion of the battery pack to safely achieve the longevity that us buyers expect.

For the purpose of a race like Erzberg, those limitations would certainly be bypassed for the purpose of better performance. The battery pack has to last only one race! Furthermore, they could be using better quality battery cells, more efficient oils and bearings, lighter weight materials, etc. etc., to increase range and performance.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Cone valve forks, but an original MXR rear shock. LHRB with the rear brake pedal still retained. The sticker on the steering column says Alta MXR 2018.