Ty Tremaine and Lyndon Poskitt to race in the Erzberg Rodeo

teddyquinn

The long 50-minute video? I embedded it for you. But it shows racing in the woods at the 8:15 mark, not talking.

Edited the post. The first asset on the page is actually a ~10:30 Vimeo-hosted video, which didn't have an easy way to share. Found the URL by poking at the source code and just dropped it in my post.

snydes

Staff member
I was able to sit down and watch the whole helmet cam video last night... the bike went longer than I thought it did based on what we were hearing. The start was so key and you could see his confusion off the line. If you get stuck back in the pack you are basically waiting in line most of the race.

All the race reports didn't do justice to the story the video shows. My favorite part; "This is f&%king gnarly" -Ty Tremaine.

Lack of experience appears to have been a huge factor and I'm excited to see what next year brings. I predict a significant improvement!

Oded

Lack of experience appears to have been a huge factor and I'm excited to see what next year brings. I predict a significant improvement!

Agreed.
There were some navigation errors, and it shows that at times, Ty is feeling more comfortable when riding behind an experienced rider.
I also think next year will be better.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The whole experience and the story coverage were awesome. Just like in all other forms of racing, Alta showed a huge potential and many advantages over the gas competition.

The architecture is solid. It can take anything you throw at it. The bike is fast and easier to ride. Once the battery technology improves the range a little more, it will be pretty much no contest.

My wish list for next year is for Alta to bring one AWD bike to Erzberg. The AWD parts are probably sitting on some warehouse shelf, collecting dust. Just bolt them on and spend some time to update the software code. It should be awesome. The list of unfair advantages will just keep growing.
@Judaslefourbe

teddyquinn

My wish list for next year is for Alta to bring one AWD bike to Erzberg. The AWD parts are probably sitting on some warehouse shelf, collecting dust. Just bolt them on and spend some time to update the software code. It should be awesome. The list of unfair advantages will just keep growing.
@Judaslefourbe

Haha could only imagine the commentating on that, assuming Alta was crushing it:
1531601256090.gif

bluefxstc

@Judaslefourbe
You are probably right. Hub motor in the front and with the right software you may be able to eliminate the front brake with role on, role off, throttle. AWD would probably be another distinct advantage in the rock piles they had to go through and the hills they had to climb. :) Another key advantage may be more range. When the Tesla Model S was introduced with AWD it had more range, with the same size battery pack, than the 2WD model.

teddyquinn

Lyndon just posted (yesterday) his Erzberg prep:

Sucks again that he was robbed (where the heck are those bikes?!!), but there were some interesting tidbits:
  • Adjusting flywheel weight @6:14
  • Nice close up of front disc cover @7:50
  • Alta apparently reaching out to EU MXR owners for R packs as a last-ditch effort @15:07