Update with reverse/crawl mode

MadpdXabbott

After Update, My bike is on V 1.0.157 VARG App V 1.0.161 (333) Heads UP the VARG app update changed all power modes to 40/70, almost went over the bars on test ride. The new Throttle is intuitive and worked well for me.

Foss

The update is out guys. Both phone and bike, I just completed it without errors. It takes about 5 mins for your bike to indicate an update so just be patient.

Tested Crawl and reverse and both work well.

Also there is some new settings for controlling your bikes idle and auto shutdown. Very nice

mbw479

The update is out guys. Both phone and bike, I just completed it without errors. It takes about 5 mins for your bike to indicate an update so just be patient.

Tested Crawl and reverse and both work well.

Also there is some new settings for controlling your bikes idle and auto shutdown. Very nice
How long does each crawl mode stay engaged? Once engaged do you have to push a button for it to go back to a normal mode or does it time out in crawl mode? Thanks

mbw479

It stays engaged until you cancel it by pushing the button opposite of the crawl mode. No time out as far as I can tell.
Thats good, I had map 1 at 15hp just for loading the bike in the back of the car, this will free up another map for riding.

I think crawl mode is high torque low speed as well which will be handy in tight spots in the hills.

blbills

Had my first chance to take the new firmware for a spin. Overall I think it's an improvement.

Can definitely tell there is less wheel spin. No measurable increase in range IMHO (gnarly single track). Kept my default 52hp but lowered the regen from 100% to 70% as I feel it's a bit more powerful with the update.

The app is still frustratingly buggy. Lots of freezing, not recording, prematurely ending rides, etc... Hope they get that settled soon.

AL_V

The app is still frustratingly buggy. Lots of freezing, not recording, prematurely ending rides, etc... Hope they get that settled soon.
As I understand it, if the bike does not have a cellular signal when you start your ride it will not record it, I agree this should be "fixed."
There is now a timer setting "Time to Shut down," that should fix "prematurely ending rides."
Other than those, I have experienced almost no problems with the app.

hightechnature

Hi Guys, I can't get my Crawl mode to work on my brand new Stark Varg. Have updated my bike twice with the last time being yesterday. How do I find the SW version of the update?

blbills

I am a little disappointed in crawl mode yesterday. Encountered some "mild" switchbacks and figured it was a great spot to test the crawl mode in the wild. I got off the bike and did a long press for forward crawl. The bike didn't move at all. Very frustrating! There must be some torque limiter that is engaging without even me on the bike. Not sure how useful this mode is out in the wild. Works great when I'm tooling around the house on a flat surface. But when it's needed out on the trail it left me hanging :-(

AL_V

I am a little disappointed in crawl mode yesterday. Encountered some "mild" switchbacks and figured it was a great spot to test the crawl mode in the wild. I got off the bike and did a long press for forward crawl. The bike didn't move at all. Very frustrating! There must be some torque limiter that is engaging without even me on the bike. Not sure how useful this mode is out in the wild. Works great when I'm tooling around the house on a flat surface. But when it's needed out on the trail it left me hanging :-(
I tried it and had the same result, it wouldn’t move the bike at all on a steep slope. But I have used reverse several times and was very happy to have it.

OneEye

All,

My Varg Alpha shows firmware as 1.0.159 with App Ver 1.0.161

When I invoked the only update my bike ever indicated was available by flashing purple on the LED at power up, it began and terminated as expected with the LED flashing varying colors while in progress. Ever since though the LED flashes yellow at power up and in neutral, but no update can be invoked. The bike is usable, but I have no crawl mode, which bugs me somewhat because I programmed Mode 1 to 15HP just for forward crawl, and yes, reverse crawl would be great on the trail at times.

Is there a way to re-FLASH the firmware? I tried removing app updates, which forced the app to re-update and required me to login again, but an update to the bike still cannot be invoked. Since we're stuck with OTA updates it's hard to force anything. Access to the bootloader sure would be nice! Or at least a way to force an update via the app.

I emailed Stark about this a couple days ago but as of this moment I've received no reply. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I was on vacation, and the bike was off, so I missed all the cool updates. I have been back for a week, the bike is in standby mode, but the app shows I am still on Firmware 1.0.110. If there is a way to speed up the updates, I would like to know how.

AL_V

I was on vacation, and the bike was off, so I missed all the cool updates. I have been back for a week, the bike is in standby mode, but the app shows I am still on Firmware 1.0.110. If there is a way to speed up the updates, I would like to know how.
Most folks have said they turned their bike on and let it sit outside turned on in neutral where you have cell service.
To update the app, check the google play store for updates.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Most folks have said they turned their bike on and let it sit outside turned on in neutral where you have cell service.
To update the app, check the google play store for updates.
This worked for me too! I left it in Neutral just for a few minutes, then clicked the Home button, and a message about an "exciting update" popped up. Now I have the latest firmware with the crawl and reverse modes. Thanks!