Upper Triple Clamp

blbills

Did anyone catch that the upper triple clamp/bar mount/phone mount on the white Varg at the press launch was different from anything we've seen thus far?

Looks pretty space age. Doesn't appear to be machinable. I would guess that they are using an additive manufacturing technique. Would be interesting if something like this makes it to production. Perhaps it's elements like this that will contribute to getting the weight down to the spec'd 110kg...

Anyone else have additional insight or better pictures?

Stark Triple Clamp.jpg

Number Six

I think those were just on the 'show bike', & not on the ones ridden at the media event.
Likely 3D printed of some sort of stainless. A neat engineering / artistic exercise but way too $$ for production.
Also looks to be challenge to get a proper fork cap wrench on those .. channelocks for one & all !

s1200_Stark_Varg_Printed_Top_Triple_Clamp.jpg

The assumed production versions appear to be more conventional machined units with bar mount isolators ;

s1200_1525AA14_043A_406B_A9A2_F14081488B34.jpg

Number Six

Guessing it'll be fiddly & likely require serious re-engineering to fit a damper.
I asked about the phone needing to be in place & was told that yes, it has to be there to operate the bike. Uh-oh.

Also was told that the upper steering stem bearing is same size as KTM, So maybe by hook or by crook I can mount my Ohlins damper although the apparent rubber bar mounts pose a distinct challenge regarding the available width needed for the unit.
Since delivery has been pushed back to December-ish ( ?? ) , guess one would have the remainder of winter to ponder whats possible.
Or .. maybe it'll be brilliant as-is & not need any of those add-on's ? At least that's what I'll be telling my reconstructed shoulder & wrist.

evh1

@Number Six - I have a newly rebuilt shoulder due to 56 years of moto, so I really need a damper. Having used them on all my bikes for 20 plus years, I really believe in them. The Ohlins set up posted by @rayivers has a real chance. I've toyed with trying to tap into my Alta frame for an inline type Ohlins stabilizer like on my road race bike, but think I'll give up some steering arc. May need to look harder at the SD2 setup

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I am pretty sure Stark knows that some folks would want to install steering dampers. Perhaps someone should ask them what their proposed dampers and solutions are.

I have never run a steering damper, but I am curious too.

There is a chromoly steel frame under that carbon fiber thingy. So, perhaps anything intended for the KTM would work too? You might have to drill a hole through that golden "O" though.

Number Six

@Number Six - I have a newly rebuilt shoulder due to 56 years of moto, so I really need a damper. Having used them on all my bikes for 20 plus years, I really believe in them. The Ohlins set up posted by @rayivers has a real chance. I've toyed with trying to tap into my Alta frame for an inline type Ohlins stabilizer like on my road race bike, but think I'll give up some steering arc. May need to look harder at the SD2 setup
Have used an Ohlins 2.1 on my current 250xcw for a few years now, they're great units, but there is a loss of just a couple degrees of steering sweep, noticeable in tight off-road conditions on occasion, likely not apparent for anything moto or XC related.
Requires careful set up otherwise the damper will act as the steering stops at the very ends of the travel.