General Varg Beater

chrisflysit

Here are some reasons why my times are faster on the electric bike:
1. Instant Torque over a wide RPM range without the need to plan i.e. be in the right gear, rev the motor, pop the clutch.
2. Linear power delivery.
3. Left hand rear brake is easy to modulate, doesn't lock up and cause loss of control. Descending rocky hills made easy.
4. No stalling.

Number Six

Here are some reasons why my times are faster on the electric bike:
1. Instant Torque over a wide RPM range without the need to plan i.e. be in the right gear, rev the motor, pop the clutch.
2. Linear power delivery.
3. Left hand rear brake is easy to modulate, doesn't lock up and cause loss of control. Descending rocky hills made easy.
4. No stalling.
Thanks !
How much do you think the reduced gyroscopic effect of an electric contributes to those quicker times compared to your 200 or 300 on the same terrain ?
Are there situations where the absence of all that reciprocating mass in the form of crank, piston, flywheel, clutch & transmission is a negative on electric bikes ?

F451

Thanks !
How much do you think the reduced gyroscopic effect of an electric contributes to those quicker times compared to your 200 or 300 on the same terrain ?
Are there situations where the absence of all that reciprocating mass in the form of crank, piston, flywheel, clutch & transmission is a negative on electric bikes ?

I have never felt that the lack of reciprocating mass is a negative on my Alta MXR, quite the contrary. For reference, I'm an older, casual trail rider, mainly single track, some of it pretty gnarly. Have owned and ridden a bunch of very nicely setup dirt bikes over the years, everything from 125 2 strokes to Beta 525 4 st.

The MXR is so flickable for its weight, its amazing. It feels like a 125 2 st, or 250F bike to me. I love it. Take whatever line I want, change lines mid corner, whatever, hardly give it a thought.

And you don't need any reciprocating mass to keep things going, the bike never stalls, always has power on tap, the electric motor has so much torque, especially right off "idle".

I can't wait to try the Varg, 25-30 lbs lighter then the Alta, better suspension, ergonomics, weight distribution, power, sounds killer.

I'm also super eager to try the new Sur Ron Ultra Bee, 187 lbs, should be a hoot on the trails.

For quicker times, for me its a combination of everything about the MXR. Instant power, very precise throttle. Always repeatable, never any surprises, never trying to get in the power band, correct gear, clutch work. Just pick my line, get my body positioned, twist it and go.

So much fun.

These guys do a good job of talking about what the full sized e-dirt bikes are like to ride, speaking about the Stark Varg press demo, motocross focus.

chrisflysit

Thanks !
It's not something I have ever noticed or thought much about. I do notice that it is easier to "fly" the electric Honda after jumps vs the KTM 200 XCW but that might have more to do with the PDS rear suspension vs the Honda's linkage. Probably the gyroscopic effect would be more significant on 450s.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
You can turn in when following someone into a turn, pivot and cut under, and exit the turn faster than any ICE bike.
I felt that I would have benefited from a 450cc Yamaha stability at Glen Helen. When a high-speed track gets choppy, you do not want to be on a flickable and maneuverable bike.

Number Six

Thanks for all the detail guys. August 31st ( ? ) can't come soon enough.
Everything I'm hearing sounds as if Varg will be a tremendous bike for midwest / east coast enduro terrain.
The characteristics of an electric bike seem to be a perfect fit, add to that the user programable parameters of output power, engine braking, flywheel effect & traction control which combined render almost limitless possibilities to customize for a given terrain type.

I recall being the 1st of our riding group to get one of the new generation KTM chassis in 2017, the increase in front end grip & counter balanced engine made for a superior handling machine to the prior models, within a season most all of the group had updated to those latest chassis.
Going from 2 stroke ICE machines to an electric Varg could be an even more substantial performance move by the sounds of it.

If history is an indicator, then the obvious question ; just how many electric bikes will one generator charge at once ? ___ :)

SubSonic

not having to shift makes a Giant difference -
trail im riding now is 12 miles long -
i ride trail as fast as Surron Lt Bee will go and have 48% battery left -
Building a YZ now so i can have good suspension -