Varg spring rates ?

blbills

Asked also the clicker settings from the support, and they sent the tables for each weight category. Tables attached. Settings from 65kg/70kg on to 95kg/100kg respectively from right to left. Five star customer service from stark future :giggle:

View attachment 10569

View attachment 10570
I've been looking for this info. Thank you! I find it odd that this isn't covered in the manual at all!

SubSonic

ordering springs soon from Race Tech -
on rider weight they dont specify rider weight With Gear or Not ???
my gear adds 20 to 30 pounds -

AL_V

I asked Stark support "Are the rider weight numbers the casual weight of the rider, or including helmet, boots, camelback, and all other riding gear?"
And received this response:

> Weight is casual without riding gear when considering our suspension setup.

ChargedCycleW

I just wanted to say thank you to all especially @AL_V for sharing this information. I have created a blog post over at Charged Cycle Works consolidating most of this information into a single post. One thing that I've added to improve the discussion here is a link over to RaceTech Spring Calculator for the Stark Varg. They recently added the Varg into their database and it's very interesting to compare their calculations to what Stark offers from the OEM. What I've found is that the rear shock doesn't change much, it's primarily based on rider weight. However the fork spring rate is mostly affected by a riders speed/skill and type of riding. These are great data points to take into consideration when choosing your Varg Suspension "weight". I've given a lot more insight into our thinking process for choosing the best option in our blog, check it out in the link below.

To read the entire blog post you can find it here:
How to choose your Stark Varg suspension when ordering

Thank you again to all of you who contributed to this information!

ChargedCycleW

I'm pretty sure RaceTech (somewhere) specifies it's without gear. I use my actual bathroom scale weight in their calculator.

Foss

Shock:
65/70kg 70/75kg 75/80kg 80/85kg 85/90kg 90/95kg 95/100kg
opeFvJ62iMZlydZ6pqXKshqtOIDJ-zfdKw63LOwQffJ-vawRn4.jpg

Fork:
65/70kg 70/75kg 75/80kg 80/85kg 85/90kg 90/95kg 95/100kg
QgqWqMm69n86caj3OgZ3-b9WbRyVLi99w8F3vytPo50R2LyRE0.jpg
KHL 15-11oil // KYB spec
Total oil of one fork leg is 550cL

blbills

I'm getting ready to receive my Varg and one of the first things I want to do is change the valving of the fork to be more inline with what's on my Yamaha YZ450FX (pretty decent valving for a general purpose bike).

I have the shim data for my 450FX fork, does anyone have that same data for the Varg? Worst case scenario I can pull it all apart when it gets here but ideally I'd like to order the shims ahead of time so I don't have to wait!

Thanks!

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I spec'd my bike with the 85-90kg setup, which has 5.0N fork springs (0.51kg/mm) and 58N shock spring (5.9kg/mm). Initially the forks felt great but after break-in they softened up quite a bit and now the bike is a bit on the soft side for my preference, riding pure motocross. Not surprised that RaceTech specs .53kg/mm fork springs and a 6.1kg/mm shock for the same weight. Thinking i'll be going up a rate front and rear here pretty soon as i start riding more often again and get my speed back up to par.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, new forks cannot be judged until after they break in.

It sounds like Stark has nailed the spring rates for me.

Woods riders think the rates are too stiff, and faster MX riders think they are not stiff enough. Nobody is complaining about the front/rear balance. Very good!

I am hoping to confirm everything first-hand in a couple of months.

F451

Yeah, new forks cannot be judged until after they break in.

It sounds like Stark has nailed the spring rates for me.

Woods riders think the rates are too stiff, and faster MX riders think they are not stiff enough. Nobody is complaining about the front/rear balance. Very good!

I am hoping to confirm everything first-hand in a couple of months.
"Yeah, new forks cannot be judged until after they break in."

Exactly, and same with the shock. I'm reading a lot online about how stiff the Varg suspension is, but very little about how it is after break-in, so makes me wonder if people are considering this before they comment, and make changes to the suspension.