wheelie practice bike

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I feel that once I learn to ride infinite sustainable wheelies, my motorcycle career will be complete.

"The Q" YouTuber built a more advanced version of this trainer. He added an rotating drum and a flywheel, which works like a rotational inertia component of the system. With such a drum, you can spin the rear wheel and also practice the application of the rear brake to bring the front end down.

The fore-aft balance is supposed to be fairly easy for me. But every time I make progress in this area, it is the lateral balance that I start having problems with.

rayivers

The big trailer-mounted wheelie machines have dyno drums that probably add a lot of 'synthetic momentum', for lack of a better term (I use a spring to simulate it, still working on the rate & preload but getting there). My setup has almost no lateral play in it - took a while to get it that way, didn't want to worry about it falling over while vertical - so I won't know how badly I'm off left-to-right until the driveway phase starts. Doug Domokis used a tiny front hub motor, apparently it made a real improvement in lateral stability.