Which maps are for what? (MX, MXR, EX)

snydes

Staff member
Having some time on one now I am thinking aside from the level and effectiveness of the regenerative braking, and providing throttle input and speeds ridden are the same, I don’t think the range would be much different between maps. I might be wrong.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
According to Alta, the effect of the Regen braking on actually charging the bike is minimal. It is mostly to replicate the ICE engine feel, which riders need for its predictability and some added stability when entering turns.

Butch

Poseur
Ok... This is one of the true values of this forum.
According to MY butt dyno, I can't feel much difference in engine braking in the different maps. With the original 2017 software it was pretty discernible.

Comments?

Oded

When I owned a Zero electric motorcycle, we reached the conclusion that regen does not add much to the battery capacity. Sometimes, turning regen off (possible in the Zero) and coasting when the throttle is off, will get you further.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
In my 2017, which seems to have had its software updated late last year, I distinctly feel the difference in Regen braking in maps 1&2 compared to maps 3&4.

The bike is more stable when entering turns in maps 1&2. Also, when I jump, the bike nose dives up in the air immediately if I do not consciously hold the throttle partially open, as if I am using the rear bake to bring the front end down.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
This MXR map configuration is the same as shown in the 2017 Redshift MX Manual.

I haven't fully butt dynoed my MXR yet, but I swear than on my MX Map 2 has more regen braking than Map 3. This is why prefer it over Map 3 on most tracks.

And the throttle response is quicker in Map 3 than in Map 2. But according to these maps, the Map 3 Response is slower, which I did not experience. Maybe I am feeling the "Medium-High" bottom end that gets the bike going quicker in Map 3???

This correlates to what I've read other MX owners have concluded independently. @Mark911 is still hiding.

Reactions: Fod

Mark911

I haven't fully butt dynoed my MXR yet, but I swear than on my MX Map 2 has more regen braking than Map 3. This is why prefer it over Map 3 on most tracks.

And the throttle response is quicker in Map 3 than in Map 2. But according to these maps, the Map 3 Response is slower, which I did not experience. Maybe I am feeling the "Medium-High" bottom end that gets the bike going quicker in Map 3???

This correlates to what I've read other MX owners have concluded independently. @Mark911 is still hiding.
Not anymore.

Fod

Yeah I agree with you on the braking but the response of 2 seems more to me!!! I like map 3 best for the 2 tracks I have ridden.

Gertech

Thanks, Philip! Those Vextrix were pretty neat, just a little ahead of their time I think. Loving the MXR, by the way. I've ridden my backyard track three nights so far this week and the neighbors don't seem to mind! ;)

Fod

I live in so cal where we have great trails but hardly ever get rain. I am not too thrilled to ride our dusty hardpack...but when the rain comes I will be joining you guys on some backyard fun!