Who is the "Go to Guy/Shop" for Ohlins?

Whymee

Old and slow, but hopefull!
I plan on picking up an MXR this winter (or before) when the '19's come out. I have always used Ohlins for my vintage bikes. From what I am seeing on this forum the MXR Suspension needs help for serious MX duty. What I am reading, the newest offerings from Ohlins are pretty sweet.

So who is the Ohlins guru that understands what is needed for the Alta's? I prefer a company on the east coast, but realize that may not be feasible.

At this time I am leaning to the complete fork & shock set up. Not looking for a kit or revalves.

I see I just missed a combo for the EXR/MXR. Just my luck. :(

What say you, the collective Alta Brain Trust?

Whymee

FYI, the 19 MXRs are already at dealers. No changes from the 2018 model. Head to the dealer this weekend!

I called all around me. No 2019 MXR's to be found. Lojack's said probably not until after the first of the year. :(

I really don't want an '18. Heck, it is already a year old rolling out of the dealership.

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
I called all around me. No 2019 MXR's to be found. Lojack's said probably not until after the first of the year. :(

I really don't want an '18. Heck, it is already a year old rolling out of the dealership.
Since the bike is identical aside from the VIN, it's quite possible that the people you spoke with don't even realize they have 2019s on the floor.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I had the opportunity to test the Ohlins RXF48 forks on my KX450f back to back against my Showa SFF TAC forks that have been modifed with RaceTech Gold Valve, valving for my skill, and SKF Glide kit (to extremely reduce stiction in the fork). I'm not sure if you are aware, but many people dislike the Showa SFF TAC forks in stock configuration, with most of the complaints stemming from the forks being too vague/harsh in the initial part of the stroke making the rider feel like he has low front end traction in corners.

In a nut shell, the RXF48 forks did not perform any better than my modified Showa SFF TAC forks. In fact, I felt like it offered less traction and less bottoming resistance than the air forks on my KX450f. I even had the ohlins guys swap in softer fork springs and up the oil level to see if we could fix those issues, and it got slightly better but still not as good as the forks on my KX450f.

My point is, the AER48 fork is great out of the box. I think you should spend some time dialing it in for you rather than splurge 2 grand in pretty looking suspenders. Even "kit" suspension can perform worse than stock suspension if it's not set up properly for you. I've found that lowering the air pressure slightly (drop .2bar off the recommended setting for your weight) makes the forks feel initially plush and offers great front end bite. In harmony, stiffening compression damping to help the mid-deep stroke resistance to prevent bottoming. I'll say that the AER48 feels like it has less bottom resistance than the Showa SFF TAC forks on my KX450f does, but i'd imagine with valving and oil level changes it will be much improved. I've bottomed the forks quite a bit already.

I don't have any experience with the Ohlins shock, but will say that the stock shock on the MXR could use some work. For my weight and skill level, its under damped in both compression and rebound. I've gotten it to feel pretty good, but i'm nearly at the max limit on compression and rebound damping with a relatively tall 98mm sag setting.

Whymee

TCMB371:
Thanks for your write up & opinion. I am not totally set on Ohlins, but I am leaning heavily that way. I have a long time to research between now & next season.

Good News! My bud in Fl. has a 19 MXR! I thought he just had eighteens. I am working out a way to get one up here.

I did call Alta today. Asked about what is different between the 18 & 19's. They said BNG. (bold new graphics). And they are still white.

So I hope to have an MXR in my stable sometime. If I have to, and I really do not want to, I can make the 12+ hour drive to Florida and pick it up.

If anyone is heading up to the MXoN from the Orlando area & can bring it close to me (WV), I will help out on gas! Never hurts to ask...

M

mike tillery

whymee , your "go to" guy for ohlins suspension is David Behrends at FBI (fast bike industries) (828)-435-0125 has the credentials. worked for Ohlins for years before opening FBI. very honest, experienced , and fairly priced. there is not a lot of margin in ohlins pricing. he has done several shocks for altas I own. Burch will probably answer the phone. a rarity nowadays a polite young person in the service business. I was an Ohlins dealer for years. when set up correctly they can be magic. call them for pricing. he can build anything you would like.

misc 7 24 18 016.JPG

ohlins forks 007.JPG

Speedkills

Sweet mother of god. Gold forks and shock look so good on the Alta. :eek:

They feel even better. I have a set that was setup for Mike and while I have had a set before they were OEM gas gas and which wasn't the top of the line stuff that I have now. These are hands down the best set of suspension I have ever ridden. I'm a little in love with the 3 position quick adjust on the rear TTX, it worked stunningly well yesterday. Now if only they could put that same tech on the forks someday, is that too much to wish for?

M

mike tillery

FYI the ttx is smoother in my opinion than the flo model. had them both set up by ohlins the same way for my weight and riding style. I am referring to single track use. maybe on a moto track at higher speeds the flo may be better.

Whymee

I am going in on this deal flying blind. This is one instance where it scares me to trust an unknown "suspension guy".

Have always had George Quay from Pro-Action do my work.

I have the means, but have nor the time or the fine tuning experience.

M

mike tillery

I have no idea who George is.
But I do know David Behrens has been on the world scene and done riders like Valentino Rossi and then dirt he did the Alessi brothers bikes when they were riding with Ohlins Usa few years ago. He worked for Ohlins Usa for quite a few years if you’re happy with George stick with him