Wing Seats

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I went to my third AJ Catanzaro class a couple of weeks ago at Cahuilla Creek Raceway in SoCal.

We had another one-handed riding session, which was cool. AJ says that if you are having difficulty riding one-handed, you are doing something wrong. He claims he can jump any jump one-handed.

You might have also seen Jett Lawrence showing off doing a one-handed stand-up wheelie.

To ride a dirt bike properly, you have to hold onto it with your legs, not with your arms.

AJ mentioned "wing seats" that are wider and have bulging cushions on both sides to help you squeeze the bike.

Here is the MX Factory guy also mentioning them:

Guts makes wing seat covers for the Stark Varg already!

Now, how would I add wings to my Alta???

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I tested this seat for the first time yesterday at Pala Raceway. OMG! It is so so nice! The width is a bit too wide, like the ~2015 YZF bikes. The grip is outstanding. I felt way more comfortable on this bike than before. If the knees are slightly ahead of the "wings" in the seat, then the bike is super comfortable. If the knees are on the bumps, then you are squeezing the bike very tight. I love it.

Theo

I love AJ's riding tips from his videos, which have helped me a lot and I find his opinions ineteresting.
BTW I notice that Philip's master cylinders have been moved inwards, according to AJ's suggestions; I've done that, too and I like it.
@Philip: do you feel the bulges of that seat while transitioning from sitting to standing position and vice versa?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
@Philip: do you feel the bulges of that seat while transitioning from sitting to standing position and vice versa?
Of course. This is why these bulges are there, so that they could slow down your flying-off-the-bike momentum. Without them, you have to rely on your upper body and hand grip too much.

BTW, sitting on the outer edge of the seat is now way more comfortable too.

I never had problems with bikes being too wide, only too narrow (Alta in the middle, Stark everywhere). Now my Stark is actually on the wide end of the spectrum. But for me too wide it better than too narrow.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Great info that applies to any bike. Now about those numbers... Have you tried a scoop tire? They are like cheating.
I am glad I fixed the ergonomics. I will bother with the numbers after I get the LHRB working. After that, we will have Round 2 of suspension tweaking.

I ran scoop tires on my both Altas in Michigan. Loved them, it's like extra +5 horsepower on soft and loose surfaces! Here in Arizona they only work on sand tracks, which I race just 2-3 times a year.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I just discovered that I can use Alta rear wheels on my Varg by simply moving the Varg's rear wheel spacers onto them. WOW! :ricky:

Even though the Alta uses a 20mm rear axle and the Varg used a 25mm axle, the rear wheels are interchangeable, and the only differences are the wheel spacers.

MadpdXabbott

Wing seat works good for me I'm tall and Phat. I suggest don't get the "White" its an off Pink color. Another side note it holds water every time, It soaks my left butt cheek.

NorCal_Hoss

Question on the RJ seat, are the wing foam on the seat cover? Looking at the tall seat foam but no option for "rj wing seat foam"
I take it, that it is part of the seat cover?
Also, how does the seat come off on the varg? I found one video on how to take the entire plastic body off including the seat but how does the actual seat come off?
Picking the varg up tomorrow morning, can't wait.

NorCal_Hoss

Guts now has 16 colors for that seat cover, LOL. They only had black and white when I was shopping, and the white didn't have good reviews.
LOL ya I saw that, I dont know what color I am going with as far as graphics if I even do it, I ended up getting the black one, plus you have to wait 10 extra days if you go with a color one.
Off that subject, i just picked up my varg, I cant get it to connect to the phone, i set maps then it would not put the screen on "landscape" mode, then did transfer of ownership ,signed into the app but it keeps saying the bike is offline.