Zero and Polaris sign exclusive 10 year agreement to produce powersports vehicles

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 10.02.21 AM.png

Announcement from the Zero website:
We’re thrilled to announce a historic partnership with Polaris, the world’s number one Powersports brand. This exclusive partnership is the largest deal in our history, and truly a watershed moment for us as a company. Our partnership is a cornerstone component of “rEV’d up,” Polaris’ long-term electrification strategy that aims to offer electric vehicle options in all their core product categories by 2025, starting with off-road vehicles (ORV) and snowmobiles. This long-term strategic partnership will combine our revolutionary powertrains to empower products in two of Polaris’ most important categories with the first vehicle from the Zero-Polaris partnership debuting by the end of 2021.

“This revolutionary partnership is bringing together two incredibly talented teams aimed at dramatically expanding the electric options in Powersports. Our EV expertise and millions of miles of real-world, rubber-meets-the-road EV experience, coupled with Polaris’ broad product portfolio, scale, supply chain and market leadership, makes this a game-changer for every Powersports enthusiast.” – Sam Paschel, CEO of Zero Motorcycles.

Under this 10-year exclusive agreement, the largest deal in Zero’s history, Polaris will develop, manufacture and sell electrified ORVs and snowmobiles using Zero’s powertrain technology, hardware and software.

“Zero Motorcycles’ pioneering electrification experience, proven leadership and mastery of the electric powertrain for Powersports are unmatched in the market. We believe this transformative partnership will enable us to leapfrog technological hurdles around range and cost while providing a tremendous speed-to-market advantage – an instant offense. Leveraging the strengths of our teams and a shared culture of innovation and passion for this industry, Polaris and Zero will collaborate to shape the future of Powersports,” said Scott Wine, chairman and CEO of Polaris.

The full press release:

Polaris Announces Partnership with Zero Motorcycles

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
A few things here:

1) Someone needs to warn Zero to not walk into the same trap as Alta did.

2) They are partnering to build Polaris products, not Zero products. I wouldn't expect any motorcycles to come out of this, perhaps only quads and boats.

privateer703

AOF Addict
Definitely quads and probably SxS. I'm not sure if you could power a boat or snowmobile and have comparable run time. They will also be sharing that tech with Indian and try to develop their competitor to the Livewire.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Adding more to the speculation. Brian Wiseman, VP of powertrain at Zero used to work at Brammo...which then got bought out by Polaris...and now works at Zero. Really smart guy. He made his own electric race bike (Lightfighter)

Zero has been funded by a Euro based VC for over a decade plus. They have had quite alot of experience dealing with big boy companies @Philip. Zero has a MFG division and they also have a Powertrain sales division. That team probably ironed out this opportunity with Polaris.

Sounds like Polaris hit a wall with the Brammo tech they acquired a long time ago. Lets hope this translates into a better tech development for Zero.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Gotta be careful here. Don't want to have Polaris / Zero! Especially given that this is 2020, all those kinds of shenanigans are strictly verboten. Divide by zero, step on a crack, spill the salt... all of these have dramatically increased repercussions in 2020. Kind of like increased traffic fines in construction zones, only with zombies or volcanoes, etc.

1601399082001.png

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Polaris has access to the Zero tech. Key part here. For Polaris this is basically using Zero as a powertrain supplier (something Zero has been doing semi decently).

BRP has IP rights to the Alta tech. Essentially by having it there able to possible develop it one day. But in reality they don't want to (otherwise we would had seen an electric ski/sea doo). Im surprised BRP hasnt gone after Taiga....its in there neighborhood.

Oded

This thread reminded me of the Gratis X1 electric jet ski.
Basically, a Jet ski powered by Zero's electric power plant.

I guess will see some electric Quads now..

privateer703

AOF Addict
Well considering that CA is going to ban ALL ICE vehicle sales by 2035, I'm pretty sure BRP has plans for electrification. I'm sure they're just waiting for the right moment to enter the market. It's not like they bought the only electric vehicle in the world. It's obvious Alta was pretty advanced considering far other companies are in their development,, but I don't really think that BRP bought all that just to keep anyone else from doing it.. because other companies are already doing it. In fact, I thought soon after they bought it, didn't they release a graphic of their future electric lineup? In any case it doesn't matter, someone will be developing an Alta equivalent, it just might not be for another 5-8 years when batteries are a little cheaper or new tech increases battery energy density.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Polaris announces the all-new Electric RANGER UTV. Arriving December 2021.

They are bragging about a lot of "new" and "unique" aspects of the electric drivetrain that we already know well.

“The new electric powertrain will elevate the RANGER platform to a
whole new level of capability, durability and performance.”
- Steve Menneto, President of Polaris Off Road

Intro Video: ALL-NEW ELECTRIC RANGER | Coming December 2021 - Intro

Performance Video: ALL-NEW ELECTRIC RANGER | Inside Electric Testing Ground - #1

Performance Video: ALL-NEW ELECTRIC RANGER | Inside Electric Testing Grounds - #2

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 4.03.26 AM.png