General 15:50 Gear Ratio on EXR

VINSANITY

For my style of riding I found that 15:46 gearing effected the power to be be able to get through whoops or get the front end up (wheelie).

I have settled on 15:50 after trying several combinations.

I think the range has improved but it’s really hard to tell. I do know the motor sound much more comfortable at 35-40 mph on the street.

Johnny Depp

For my style of riding I found that 15:46 gearing effected the power to be be able to get through whoops or get the front end up (wheelie).

I have settled on 15:50 after trying several combinations.

I think the range has improved but it’s really hard to tell. I do know the motor sound much more comfortable at 35-40 mph on the street.
Great feedback. So your ratio is 3.33 and the 15/46 was a 3.07. So a 14/43 or a 13/40 would get you the same ratio only with a small countershaft should get more "pop" to lift the front end due to chain torque changes.
I haven't seen anyone go higher than you?

Wait, motor "sound"... Everyone acts as if they are silent.:)

standbyu

I have always thought this to be true. When you have all that instant torque from zero rpms.... Gear it to the moon and see what happens. I strongly suspect lap times and holeshots will continue to improve, as well as less power usage.
All that is true but with the taller gearing its more of a challenge to pull the front wheel up when you decide to loft the front wheel over something or seat bouncing a 50 footer. Of course in setting 4 not so much.

VINSANITY

Yes gearing is dependent on your riding style and what you are doing with the bike.

I generally ride map 2 on the street, I actually prefer map 4 for MX and trails it depends but usually 2, but really choppy stuff I actually prefer map 4.

Everyone is different and electric allows us to adjust the bike to what ever the riding conditions and our skill levels.

Johnny Depp

Yes gearing is dependent on your riding style and what you are doing with the bike.

I generally ride map 2 on the street, I actually prefer map 4 for MX and trails it depends but usually 2, but really choppy stuff I actually prefer map 4.

Everyone is different and electric allows us to adjust the bike to what ever the riding conditions and our skill levels.
I get the everybody has different uses part, but this is an MX/SX bike 1st. It is rather unlikely that the range will encourage many scramble rider's to use it as a primary choice, although I expect with the advantage they will likely bring, many will try. (referring to Stark).
On a 450, if you can make a 3rd gear start work, it is magic. (No shifting and max torque). The same goes for leaving it in 1 gear all around the track, if you can eliminate shifting mid corner, you will be faster. It's all track and rider dependent too. This little bit of info has me shopping for a 42t rear sprocket to do some testing.

synics

Two questions:

1. I see a lot of "I think" in these comments...has anyone actually methodically tested range and torque on any ratio over the stock 12/53 MXR gearing? Are you REALLY getting more range and keeping off road torque? I'm averaging 20 miles off road in ALL MAP 1 taking it easy, that's off a full charge to fully dead with the stock wheels, and LESS range if I use my heavier 18" wheel with a Dunlop 110/100-18 MX12 tire. It totally sucks to have to hold back on my riding technique to conserve battery and to keep it in map 1 just so I don't piss off my friends complaining that I already have to go back to the truck to recharge...

2. I notice there is a large disparity between what mileage my speedo says I'm getting and what the OnX Offroad app says I'm getting via GPS. It's like a 1-2 mile difference with the GPS always less...which is correct? I am seeing this with the stock wheel sizes 19/21.

pic for attention. haha

20220319_182958.jpg

effinsiok

Two questions:

1. I see a lot of "I think" in these comments...has anyone actually methodically tested range and torque on any ratio over the stock 12/53 MXR gearing? Are you REALLY getting more range and keeping off road torque? I'm averaging 20 miles off road in ALL MAP 1 taking it easy, that's off a full charge to fully dead with the stock wheels, and LESS range if I use my heavier 18" wheel with a Dunlop 110/100-18 MX12 tire. It totally sucks to have to hold back on my riding technique to conserve battery and to keep it in map 1 just so I don't piss off my friends complaining that I already have to go back to the truck to recharge...
I’m surprised your range is that low. I have a ‘17 mx with stock gearing that I trail ride with in the PNW tech single track terrain with elevation and average 28 miles riding at a quick but conservative pace (carry my speed through corners and don’t crack the throttle coming out, limit wheel spin). 24 miles is the worst I’ve seen and 32 is the best according to the odometer (I’m an intermediate rider and this mileage is not during a race).

I don’t notice a difference in range for the different maps just in my throttle technique, so I always ride in map 3.

synics

I’m surprised your range is that low. I have a ‘17 mx with stock gearing that I trail ride with in the PNW tech single track terrain and average 28 miles riding at a quick but conservative pace (carry my speed through corners and don’t crack the throttle coming out). 24 miles is the worst I’ve seen and 32 is the best (according to the odometer). For reference I usually win B class hare scramble races and am middle of the pack in A class.

I don’t notice a difference in range for the different maps just in my throttle technique, so I always ride in map 3.
No way I would not even be able to do that at all with mine if I tried racing a hair scramble in the same way I ride my 350. I would kill this thing in probably under 10 miles.

synics

So today I switched the stock 12t front sprocket to a 13t on my MXR. Kinda disappointed that I couldn't tell any difference between the two. I was really surprised that I didn't gain any top speed either. Still 67mph. I would have thought I would have gained a couple of mph at least.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
So today I switched the stock 12t front sprocket to a 13t on my MXR. Kinda disappointed that I couldn't tell any difference between the two. I was really surprised that I didn't gain any top speed either. Still 67mph. I would have thought I would have gained a couple of mph at least.
Unless you are measuring speed by GPS, you will not see a difference in indicated speed. The display on the dash is calculated off motor RPM...

synics

Yeah I just realized that earlier. At the same time, I have used multiple GPS apps and they all seems to give different results.

Johnny Depp

A 12t is a lower ratio than a 13, your top speed would normally go down.