2018 EX with R battery

sadams

Fellas, I noticed my 2018 EX has a "R" logo on the battery. When I purchased my 2017 MX, the dealer had just received this EX (Vin #033) and mentioned an upgraded battery. Fast forward 4 months, I traded my MX for that EX. Did I just get lucky or were there more 18's with R battery's in them? All of the 18's I have seen have the "A" battery. Just curious. Thanks!

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I haven't heard of an A pack being replaced with a R pack, but I don't see why it couldn't have happened. I'm assuming the original battery had an issue and it was replaced with the R pack, which might have been the only battery available.

I wonder if Alta actually manufactured two different battery packs, an A and a R pack, after they identified and fixed the Code 36 problem. It doesn't make sense to have two different packs if the only difference was the way the wires were bonded. I see the need for MX vs MXR, and the additional cost for the additional HP, but having one battery used in all models makes sense to me. Time will tell us the answer to this question, as we will eventually be repairing/rebuilding our own battery packs.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Oh, the R badge and the A badge are just stick on deals. Mine came back from a dealer service missing one.

datadog

That's a pretty early one. EXRs started with 099. Something unusual is going on. Was it a dealer demo? They might have stuck newer badges on it. To change to the R pack you need, battery, harness, ACM, controller, firmware. It's costly.

datadog

I wonder if Alta actually manufactured two different battery packs, an A and a R pack, after they identified and fixed the Code 36 problem. It doesn't make sense to have two different packs if the only difference was the way the wires were bonded.

Not the case. R pack is very different in other ways and came way before the code 36 issues.

Oded

The R packs withstand highr amp draw for longer periods of time (that's what we've been told).
Any other differences - length of life, reliability...?

Asking as a proud A battery owner (EX) 😉

sadams

That's a pretty early one. EXRs started with 099. Something unusual is going on. Was it a dealer demo? They might have stuck newer badges on it. To change to the R pack you need, battery, harness, ACM, controller, firmware. It's costly.
I was thinking the same thing on the sticker. It wasn't a demo so I'm not sure what might have been going on. I only have 100 miles or so on it so far but no issues to date. It's due for a firmware update (to EX_1_2_1_RC1), but I'm hesitant to do it after reading some of the feedback. Any more fellow EX owners see any reason to wait on the firmware?

datadog

I have an EX and the latest version of the firmware. There's not the same challenges with the battery pack with the A pack. There are a few safety and bug fixes that might help you as you continue to ride it. I had some charging issues with the older firmware that went away with the updates and I'm happy with the mapping.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Fellas, I noticed my 2018 EX has a "R" logo on the battery. When I purchased my 2017 MX, the dealer had just received this EX (Vin #033) and mentioned an upgraded battery. Fast forward 4 months, I traded my MX for that EX. Did I just get lucky or were there more 18's with R battery's in them? All of the 18's I have seen have the "A" battery. Just curious. Thanks!

Easiest way to confirm if you got an R pack is to check the HVIL connection and your battery signal connector. (Orange connector and black rectangular connector). Take a picture and confirming will be cake.

EX33...doesnt smell like an R swapped bike.

datadog

Top photo is the DCCP, same on both packs. Bottom photo definitely shows two stage A pack connector. The low voltage connector on the other side of the bike will be a round Milspec connector.

sadams

Easiest way to confirm if you got an R pack is to check the HVIL connection and your battery signal connector. (Orange connector and black rectangular connector). Take a picture and confirming will be cake.

EX33...doesnt smell like an R swapped bike.

The top two pics are from my EX with the R label on the battery. The bottom two are the connectors on my brothers EXR. Different for sure.

Could it be that my battery is basically an A battery with the R cells (Sony?) inside? That was basically what the dealer was told when they received the bike.

IMG_8198.jpgIMG_8203.jpg

IMG_8199.jpgIMG_8204.jpg