'24 hour Starvation Ridge team

UltraCie

I was told to look here for some possible team mates for this years 24 hours of starvation ridge - @bluefxstc, you seem to have organized this every other year, are there any plans to do so again this year?
I was able to find one other person so far, and while we're both on wee little Ultra Bee's (20 miles is no problem though), it would be really cool to have a variety of bikes or just some other people.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
October 26th & 27th – 24 Hours Of Starvation Ridge Team/Endurance Race. 23rd Anniversary.

F451

I was told to look here for some possible team mates for this years 24 hours of starvation ridge - @bluefxstc, you seem to have organized this every other year, are there any plans to do so again this year?
I was able to find one other person so far, and while we're both on wee little Ultra Bee's (20 miles is no problem though), it would be really cool to have a variety of bikes or just some other people.

Not sure if you've raced the 24 hr before, but its pretty fast and flowy for most of it, so 20 miles at a fast pace on the Ultra Bee might be cutting it close. Some years the laps are less then 20 miles (18?) so that would help.

UltraCie

Not sure if you've raced the 24 hr before, but it's pretty fast and flowy for most of it, so 20 miles at a fast pace on the Ultra Bee might be cutting it close. Some years the laps are less then 20 miles (18?) so that would help.
I haven't done the 24 hour before, but I'm fairly confident 20 miles won't be an issue, I did 29 moving quick and came back with 25% last weekend. My other teammate has the massive battery and can hammer it for 35+ easy, or 50 going at a moderate pace.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Two years ago, the lap was ~16 miles, I think ???. I got excited and killed my Alta's battery on my first lap out and had to be towed back to the paddock. Next laps, I babied the bike in Map 1, stopped using the brakes, and I was able to finish, but just barely with the battery flashing near zero. My laps were about 68 minutes long. At a normal race pace my Altas do not last longer than 40 minutes, so I was being way conservative. The Varg has a 20% bigger battery and more maps, which should help.

bluefxstc

Two years ago, the lap was ~16 miles, I think ???. I got excited and killed my Alta's battery on my first lap out and had to be towed back to the paddock. Next laps, I babied the bike in Map 1, stopped using the brakes, and I was able to finish, but just barely with the battery flashing near zero.
I guess I am really slow because I always finished with about 1/2 battery. :ricky: (slow is smooth, smooth is fast) I am not going to make it this year. To many other things going on here. Last year we did discuss doing individual entries instead of a team. The price for a team was the same as for 4 individual riders and with individual riders so you can have more than one rider on the course at a time. With a 4 rider team, the last rider will almost certainly be riding in the dark on their second lap, not a big deal, but the older I get, the more beneficial day light is. You also can get more camping spots so have more room which is nice. The race organizers are really nice so you should be able to coordinate to have all the camping sites together. Looking forward to hearing how you do.

UltraCie

I did the Norcs race this past weekend and finished with 35% after 19-20 miles (3 laps), riding as fast I felt comfortable, so not super concerned about the range.

I'm open to running the race on my own, but likely wouldn't get more than 2-4 laps, as the major limitation is the human, not the bike. If I can't get anyone to have a solid commitment, I'll go this route, or maybe try next year instead. Would much rather have a team, and happy to talk if cost is an issue for anyone.
At a minimum, I'm going to the NMA race at Starvation Ridge on the 29th, after racing at Washugal the day before to check out SR and practice riding consecutive days.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I'm open to running the race on my own, but likely wouldn't get more than 2-4 laps, as the major limitation is the human, not the bike. If I can't get anyone to have a solid commitment, I'll go this route, or maybe try next year instead. Would much rather have a team, and happy to talk if cost is an issue for anyone.
Please keep us in the loop. It used to be Garry @bluefxstc who organized our team, but with him being out someone else needs to take over the organizational duties. We had about 5 racers in recent years, so I hope the interest continues.

I will join too if I am in the country at that time, which is TBD.

I would prefer to join a team, to get some team spirit going, as driving 2 days to ride a few laps solo does not sound attractive to me. The last time I raced this 24hr race, we got tired and all went to sleep in the middle of the night, but that was a team decision, LOL! We didn't win, but we still had a great time.