3D print shroud guards to fill in the ribs

Matt

E-Rider
This print also failed... the filament caught and jammed up the system. Enough printed to figure out some errors to correct though so it wasn't a total loss. I may scrap this design and start from scratch or take another approach. The hard part is it is curved in multiple directions and skews some in a couple of these directions which is difficult to accurately measure and model.

Potatonet

This print also failed... the filament caught and jammed up the system. Enough printed to figure out some errors to correct though so it wasn't a total loss. I may scrap this design and start from scratch or take another approach. The hard part is it is curved in multiple directions and skews some in a couple of these directions which is difficult to accurately measure and model.

We have 3 printers, all small format sub 12x12

the thing about printing is that it requires even temperature across the part otherwise there is warp across the vertical axis of the part, most parts exhibit this when in large format.

I would be reproducing these pieces on a much higher end printer like an Objet or other HP printing unit, part quality counts for a lot with me.

we can lay them into a stacked pattern on a higher end machine and get more parts out in less time on precision equipment. They also don’t warp, standard production 3D printing practice

Mark911

In my opinion, 3D printing isn't the answer for a part like this, prototype or not. If I were motivated (I'm too busy right now) to get it made, I'd modify the stocker on the bike using kitty hair (or equivalent) and/or other common materials to make a plug. Splash the plug with carbon fiber or fiberglass to make a mold and then use the mold to make production parts in carbon or fiberglass. Probably take a couple days. Then, 3D scan the first side plug and mirror image it for the second side. Use the 3D printer to print the second plug and splash it to made the second mold. Probably a LONG print, 2-3 days. You could eyeball the second mirrored side, a good eye is often all you need. But most likely it would be slightly different side to side. Done. . . . . .

Hey all. Was there any more movement on this awesome idea?, did Blatant Moto reply?.

Be such a shame if this idea dies.

VINSANITY

Thinking about it instead of reproducing complete shrouds perhaps we could make inserts that sort of snap into the openings between those nasty ribs - it would seem using a scan of the shroud a piece could be 3D printed that fills the hole. Or maybe the inserts are two piece (outside / inside) with small screws that connect them.

Maybe one of the 3D printing guys on forum can comment if this could work

Thoughts

Matt

E-Rider
Thinking about it instead of reproducing complete shrouds perhaps we could make inserts that sort of snap into the openings between those nasty ribs - it would seem using a scan of the shroud a piece could be 3D printed that fills the hole. Or maybe the inserts are two piece (outside / inside) with small screws that connect them.

Maybe one of the 3D printing guys on forum can comment if this could work

Thoughts
I was working on this at one point. It is difficult to get a decent fit without a mold + 3d scan

Jared

I had enough of the ribbed/too wide shrouds and made a set out of aluminum. They fit as flush to the frame in the knee area as is physically possible. Tested them at the Starvation Ridge 24-hour race and was very pleased.

42B61017-473A-4FFC-BCF4-D540147E3611.jpeg

227E6D05-CA51-4ED8-94DD-679811C440C8.jpeg

I still think a whole shroud would be best, does Blatant Moto have an actual shroud or just the scan file?. If not....

someone must know where there might be one of the new style ones?.... Maybe?....Rashid sir?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I still think a whole shroud would be best, does Blatant Moto have an actual shroud or just the scan file?. If not....

someone must know where there might be one of the new style ones?.... Maybe?....Rashid sir?

Blatant Moto has files, there was a plan to get more scan data...dont know where that went. Blatant has mentioned that set is the only new style set.

Blatant Moto has files, there was a plan to get more scan data...dont know where that went. Blatant has mentioned that set is the only new style set.
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully he will see this topic has been replied to, and reply!.