A budget steering stabilizer

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I'm not sure i'd want to run that. Without an actual damper, wouldn't it just oscillate back and forth and sort of induce a swap? Also, a coil spring would make it more difficult to turn the bars as the further you turn, the harder it gets. An actual damper limits the rate of steering angle change regardless of how far the bars are turned. That spring replaced with a tiny damper would be much better.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure i'd want to run that. Without an actual damper, wouldn't it just oscillate back and forth and sort of induce a swap? Also, a coil spring would make it more difficult to turn the bars as the further you turn, the harder it gets. An actual damper limits the rate of steering angle change regardless of how far the bars are turned. That spring replaced with a tiny damper would be much better.
You might have missed that this is the "Humor" sub-forum!

I think the damping effect comes from the plastic sheathing. :LOL:

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I'll bet the purpose of the spring is just to keep the wheel straight when the bike is on the center kick stand. No self-respecting engineer would pretend that spring would provide steering stability.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I'll bet the purpose of the spring is just to keep the wheel straight when the bike is on the center kick stand. No self-respecting engineer would pretend that spring would provide steering stability.
No self respecting engineer would, but the accountant who approves his designs would certainly have seen it as a perfectly acceptable substitute.

HGP

Years ago when I put my rad wagon together I thought that thing was a joke too. Now, 1400 miles later of mostly 2 and 3 mile milk getter town runs, the thing still rolls like a lazy dream. The lady, groceries, and kiddo on back and me no-hands showing off like an idiot doing 20mph.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Years ago when I put my rad wagon together I thought that thing was a joke too. Now, 1400 miles later of mostly 2 and 3 mile milk getter town runs, the thing still rolls like a lazy dream. The lady, groceries, and kiddo on back and me no-hands showing off like an idiot doing 20mph.
Good point. I forgot to mention that the guy who owns thi Rad Wagon was very excited about his bike and was offering free rides to anyone who wanted to try it. This thing is pretty cheap for an e-bike too at slightly over $1K.

Top Bottom