Adding a 12V socket, Off-road navigation apps

ablock

It doesn't sound easy. The load management seems to all be done in software and reports about experimental lighting changes in other threads suggest the system is sensitive to loads both over and under the expected values for each circuit. Also I asked Alta about it and the reply was basically, "We don't support changes to the electrical system".

bking

Yeah, nuts that there isn't a factory-supported solution. Smartphone GPS is the best way to navigate the great woods trails out here but there's no reception at Tillamook so phones burn through battery really quickly.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
As an interim solution, I just have a small Li-ion battery (Amazon Battery) inside a ziploc bag zip-tied behind the mask. The bag has the opening downward to keep water out and the short USB cord comes out and up to the GPS. It would work the same for a phone. The battery will power the GPS or a phone for longer than the ALTA battery runs the bike.

Oded

Strange that an electric bike do not have an electric 12V socket. Eventually Alta will need to come up with a solution.

I do a lot of GPS navigating on my Redshift, and can highly recommend the android app - "advrider wd".
It is an excellent navigation app developed by an Israely off road rider. It has all the maps also off-line, so no need for cellular coverage. You can see your fellow riders on the maps in real time, and much more. I never ride in unfamiliar placed without it.

bking

As an interim solution, I just have a small Li-ion battery (Amazon Battery) inside a ziploc bag zip-tied behind the mask. The bag has the opening downward to keep water out and the short USB cord comes out and up to the GPS. It would work the same for a phone. The battery will power the GPS or a phone for longer than the ALTA battery runs the bike.
Yeah, I use my micro-start to do the same thing. Just seems silly when you’re straddling 70# of battery & there’s already 12v wiring.

snydes

Staff member
On an MXR there is a unused 12V plug right behind the number plate. The issue then would be if the device would present enough load to not have the software cut it off. Of course I assume this plug is already used on the EX(R)'s, which is the bike that most people would want these options on anyhow.

bluefxstc

I was told by Alta that the 12 V system on an EX didn't have the power to run a cell phone charger or a GPS so my plan was to get an LED head light and then use the extra power to run a dedicated cell phone GPS. Hasn't really been a priority for me with the limited range I am rarely in a situation where I need a GPS.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
What is the easiest way of adding a 12V Socket on the Redshift? For gps devices, phones etc...
I’d guess that a new device is in order if it’s battery life doesn’t outlast the motorcycle... couldn’t imagine getting that far off grid given the Altas range. - on my KTM 1290 I use this Solar Powered Flash Light Torch 250 | Goal Zero

Solar charged on tail all day
Battery will recharge my iPhone 8 twice
Handy camp light

Ymmv

Oded

I’d guess that a new device is in order if it’s battery life doesn’t outlast the motorcycle... couldn’t imagine getting that far off grid given the Altas range. - on my KTM 1290 I use this Solar Powered Flash Light Torch 250 | Goal Zero

Solar charged on tail all day
Battery will recharge my iPhone 8 twice
Handy camp light

Ymmv

Starting a ride with a phone not fully charged, and using the gps app for 3 hours (including some videos and such), can result in a depleted battery, even on the small range of the Alta.

bking

Starting a ride with a phone not fully charged, and using the gps app for 3 hours (including some videos and such), can result in a depleted battery, even on the small range of the Alta.
My Trailtech Voyager Pro (which also I use for GPS) has a 45 minute battery when not on 12v power.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
My Trailtech Voyager Pro (which also I use for GPS) has a 45 minute battery when not on 12v power.
Hmm sounds like they need to outsource their battery technology to Alta or that pink bunny🤪

I use an iPhone for all off grid gps functions on my ICE Adv bikes. Not to get into depth but the GPS functionality of apple products vs the A-GPS functionality of Androids are superior in truly off grid scenarios...

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Not to get into depth but the GPS functionality of apple products vs the A-GPS functionality of Androids are superior in truly off grid scenarios...
A bit off-topic, and I am not likely to become an Apple user any time soon, but I am starting to hate the Google Maps app on my Android phone. It takes forever to open, then shows the ads from all the nearby businesses, takes forever to find directions, then slows down the phone to a halt, and then crashes. A few times I had to make an old-school guess about which route to take because Google Maps was either not ready yet, or crashed already. Too bad I do not have enough hacking skills to downgrade to an earlier version.

Oded

A bit off-topic, and I am not likely to become an Apple user any time soon, but I am starting to hate the Google Maps app on my Android phone. It takes forever to open, then shows the ads from all the nearby businesses, takes forever to find directions, then slows down the phone to a halt, and then crashes. A few times I had to make an old-school guess about which route to take because Google Maps was either not ready yet, or crashed already. Too bad I do not enough hacking skills to downgrade to an earlier version.

Philip, try installing the app "Waze". It is the original navigation app that google maps is based on (google bought Waze and use their algorithms). It may work better for you.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of navigation apps... I have used Osmand+ and Rever for adventure rides. Both are great for navigating off-road and off-line. You can plan and build the rides, record them, share with friends. Both apps now can even speak turn-by-turn instruction when off-road, as if you are driving on the street. Great if you are using an intercom.

The only reason I still use Google Maps is because it has all my bookmarks, and it is best at locating various businesses and places of interest.