BAD NEWS

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I think they had an agreement to only sell direct to Alta, so that may have been the issue.
Correct. If I heard it correctly, Alta owns the Acerbis molds. But if Alta owes them money, like they owe everyone else, then it won't matter.

Either way, no worries. Nobody needs those molds but us, and Acerbis won't throw them away if we order parts in larger batches every once in a while.

Judaslefourbe

I am the one who negotiated with Acerbis so I can confirm, the molds are owned by Alta. And I do not believe Acerbis was owed any money.
That being said, I doubt BRP will claim the molds because they are too expensive to ship.
IF BRP lets Acerbis make a few sets, I expect they will be expensive as hell though.

snydes

Staff member
I’m not understanding you completely @Judaslefourbe ... if BRP doesn’t claim them that what’s stopping Acerbis from making plastic?

Question isn’t meant to be contrary, I’m just not following you.

TonyWilliams

User asked to be "deleted"
I’m not understanding you completely @Judaslefourbe ... if BRP doesn’t claim them that what’s stopping Acerbis from making plastic?

Question isn’t meant to be contrary, I’m just not following you.

Why would BRP “claim them”? Alta / BRP own the molds. Nothing to claim.

Acerbis isn’t going to do anything without an agreement with the owner of the molds. They wouldn’t be in business long if they started taking other folks equipment and building parts for their personal profit.

If Acerbis send a letter to the new owner of Alta, and asked them what their intent was with their molds in the future, they may get some response from BRP. Perhaps BRP would be content to sell the existing molds to either Acerbis, or somebody else?

That’s how the process needs to move forward.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
There seems to be an assumption that BRP purchased the molds, they may be one of the remaining unsold assets. If BRP has no intention of building bikes, they would unlikely make an investment in equipment they don't want.

TonyWilliams

User asked to be "deleted"
There seems to be an assumption that BRP purchased the molds, they may be one of the remaining unsold assets. If BRP has no intention of building bikes, they would unlikely make an investment in equipment they don't want.

That’s not an assumption, it’s a fact. They bought the assets, IP, etc, of Alta. They did not purchase the debt.

Folks, we can’t will into existence something that does not exist. Yes, I get it, we all want to have plentiful and easy to obtain parts for are now abandoned motorcycles.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Why would BRP “claim them”? Alta / BRP own the molds. Nothing to claim.

Acerbis isn’t going to do anything without an agreement with the owner of the molds. They wouldn’t be in business long if they started taking other folks equipment and building parts for their personal profit.

If Acerbis send a letter to the new owner of Alta, and asked them what their intent was with their molds in the future, they may get some response from BRP. Perhaps BRP would be content to sell the existing molds to either Acerbis, or somebody else?

That’s how the process needs to move forward.

I said this earlier (post 654) but seems to me that until we know which "limited physical assets" BRP actually purchased and what was left with ALTA/ABC, it is impossible to guess where this stands and how to proceed. Since BRP has no interest in motorcycles or in restarting ALTA Motors it is quite possible the Acerbis molds are not in the purchased asset list. I have been through similar business scenarios during my career and companies typically don't pay for things they don't want even when purchasing distressed assets.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
That’s not an assumption, it’s a fact. They bought the assets, IP, etc, of Alta. They did not purchase the debt.

Folks, we can’t will into existence something that does not exist. Yes, I get it, we all want to have plentiful and easy to obtain parts for are now abandon motorcycles.

Is that inside info beyond what was in the press release? The press release specifically stated "limited physical assets". I think we all understand they did not assume any of the liabilities for debt or warranty.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Acerbis USA is clueless. We have an owner talking to Franco Acerbis, the owner in Italy.

A member reached out to me today. According to his sources, BRP only purchased the IP and no physical assets. Although this would contradict the press release.

The bottom line is we do not know who owns these molds now. The only ones who know for sure are BRP and Armanino, and they have not spoken yet.

Judaslefourbe

They just might not want to. Running molds (especially those sizes) costs a lot of money so Acerbis might not want to make a run for a small volume.