Best Alta Generator

Alta_mxr

Trying to decide between 2 generators. The Briggs Q6500 or the Honda EG4000. Both are capable of running the fast charger. They are close in weight and sound. Honda weighs a little more (150 vs 130) and is a little louder (67 vs 64). Also the Honda is traditional generator and Briggs is an investor. But I’m sure the Alta charger could handle either style? Anybody out there seen or have experience with both?

snydes

Staff member
@Mark911 has the Q6500. There is an issue he has had with having it tripping the GFCI if I remember correctly. I’m sure he will give you the lowdown on it.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Trying to decide between 2 generators. The Briggs Q6500 or the Honda EG4000. Both are capable of running the fast charger. They are close in weight and sound. Honda weighs a little more (150 vs 130) and is a little louder (67 vs 64). Also the Honda is traditional generator and Briggs is an investor. But I’m sure the Alta charger could handle either style? Anybody out there seen or have experience with both?

I was riding with a buddy yesterday and charging the Alta came up. He recently purchased a Honda generator and mentioned that in his research he thought that Honda was one of the only companies that use copper winding in the heads. The cheaper gennys are using aluminum windings which certainly won't last as long as copper. I haven't researched this yet but it's something to consider when buying a generator.

Kurlon

I don't think I've ever heard of a generator failing due to windings aging out before something else in the motor.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I don't think I've ever heard of a generator failing due to windings aging out before something else in the motor.

Good point but it does happen. I just finished rebuilding a 8kw Westerbeke that had a stator failure due to a short. The protective coating will crack due to age, then it gets corrosion from moisture, then it shorts out. The older generators are definitely better quality.

Flynryan

Started off with a Yamaha 3000 inverter, but the charge was slow even with the rapid charger. Switched to the Honda 4000 and it's a lot better. The issue with the Honda is the noise! It's loud compared to the inverter. Bummer that you have to purchase the Yamaha 6300 or Honda 7000 if you want to charge @ 240 with a quality inverter.

I use this hydraulic table cart to roll it around and lift it up to the bed of truck/van. Works well if I don't have anyone around to help me lift.

honda 4000 generator.jpeg

Kurlon

Started off with a Yamaha 3000 inverter, but the charge was slow even with the rapid charger. Switched to the Honda 4000 and it's a lot better.

Both chargers do their thing at the same rate on 110v, FYI. It's when you feed them 220v that the rapid charger can stretch it's legs and out run the standard charger.

Mark911

@Mark911 has the Q6500. There is an issue he has had with having it tripping the GFCI if I remember correctly. I’m sure he will give you the lowdown on it.

The B&S Q6500 is working fine. In my mind it's the best alternative to the $4k plus Yamaha and Honda 240 inverters. It was NOT as quiet as advertised. In fact, I was quite displeased and ready to return it as it wasn't much better than my $400 commercial unit. However, being fully enclosed it had the potential to be quiet. I bought some high temp sound deading material from McMaster Carr and basically wrapped it from the inside. Man, what a difference. Now it's just as good as the expensive Honda/Yama. It's got an "eco" mode which throttles down the rpm to just enough to supply the requested current and it really helps with the sound as well.

I also got a VERY good look into the design and quality of the generator as I needed to essentially strip it down. The hard part mechanicals are pretty good but the plastic parts are flimsy and not very well attached, more slots/tabs than solid bolts/screws. Better for fast manufacturing but not for being banged around in the back of a pickup. Time will tell.

Even without a electric start the weight is still too much to lift by myself so I use my bike ramps. I wish it had some lift handles to make the job easier and I'll be adding some soon.

If you live in Ca you'll need to buy it out of state as it's not CARB compliant (no evap system, etc).

By this time I'd expect the prices to be around $1500, less than half the big Honda and Yamaha inverters. Bottom line, if sound is important and your willing to spend an extra $100 and a day insulating the generator the B&S is a cost effective alternate to the big boys.

Scooter584

What is the wattage needed to run the rapid charger at 240v? And or what is the amperage of the rapid charger at 240v? Thanks...at work and looking for a generator to buy but I don't have the charger info. (Is it online in the manual?) Thank you

Scooter584

Ok that's what I thought! Thank you
3840 watts then so a 4000 w generator or more will be good. I think they are ranged at 5000 though.
Any one have any good info other than what has been posted?

Alta_mxr

well I used the eu2000 and it charges at 120volt no problem just takes to long for off road sprint enduro situations. will keep an eye out for the next Honda update. hoping for a EG4000i