Best Alta Generator

Scott

I just picked up a returned Powerhorse 4000 for $340.00 at NorthernTool. It was like new so I scooped it up. I used it today and charged my MXR using the 240v option with a standard charger. I rode three motos on a MX track in map 4 and had a total run time of a little over an hour and was never without enough battery when charging between motos. It is a bit on the loud side but at the track it was quieter than the bikes on the track. The generator was at 74db at about twenty feet with my back to the track and when facing the track the track was at 84db. I got a 50 foot 12ga extension cord so I could position the generator as far away as possible.

1533785699915.png
Powerhorse Portable Generator 4,000 Surge Watts, 3,100 Rated Watts | Northern Tool + Equipment

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I just picked up a returned Powerhorse 4000 for $340.00 at NorthernTool. It was like new so I scooped it up. I used it today and charged my MXR using the 240v option with a standard charger. I rode three motos on a MX track in map 4 and had a total run time of a little over an hour and was never without enough battery when charging between motos. It is a bit on the loud side but at the track it was quieter than the bikes on the track. The generator was at 74db at about twenty feet with my back to the track and when facing the track the track was at 84db. I got a 50 foot 12ga extension cord so I could position the generator as far away as possible.

Powerhorse Portable Generator 4,000 Surge Watts, 3,100 Rated Watts | Northern Tool + Equipment

That looks very similar to the Harbor Freight Predator 4000 Generator. I just got mine on sale this past weekend for $270+tax. Bought the $20 wheel kit as well for easier mobility.

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
Make up one of the highly controversial two 120 to one 240 adapters and keep starting and stopping them until you get them out of phase and whoola! Honestly I have no idea if that would work that way, but it sounded good.
I'm seriously gonna look into this! Seems like a no-brainer-great-accessory the world needs!

snydes

Staff member
I'm seriously gonna look into this! Seems like a no-brainer-great-accessory the world needs!
As far as the adapter there is quite a bit of discussion on them in Tesla forums. There is even a commercially available product HERE. I've put one together myself, I have a future use for it but have yet to try it. You have to have separate circuits on different legs for it to work, which many times isn't too practical because they would typically be very far apart and require a long extension cord yet to boot. As far as the using it with two 120v generators... that's the part I have no idea if it's possible.

Rob41

Chief Engineer
As far as the adapter there is quite a bit of discussion on them in Tesla forums. There is even a commercially available product HERE. I've put one together myself, I have a future use for it but have yet to try it. You have to have separate circuits on different legs for it to work, which many times isn't too practical because they would typically be very far apart and require a long extension cord yet to boot. As far as the using it with two 120v generators... that's the part I have no idea if it's possible.

Would be good to know what will work. I'm planning on getting my EXR and an ATC toy hauler next summer. An option on the hauler is an Onan 5.5kw propane generator. I'm not going to pay the extra 5k if that gen can't charge the EXR on 240v, it is after all a 120v generator. My guess is two of the Onan's 120V plugs would not net me 240V even with the Quick200 convertor. I need to look into this further.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is two of the Onan's 120V plugs would not net me 240V even with the Quick200 convertor. I need to look into this further.
That's correct. You have to have a true 240V somewhere in the house for this Quick220 to work. The unit is nothing but an inverted Y-splitter with some safety checks built in.

Rob41

Chief Engineer
That's correct. You have to have a true 240V somewhere in the house for this Quick220 to work. The unit is nothing but an inverted Y-splitter with some safety checks built in.

Thanks for the heads up Phillip. I will not be getting the Onan. I'll have to see if I can find a propane 240V gen in the 5.5 to 6.5k range since I'll be powering everything else in the hauler as well. I kind of want to avoid a gas engine if I can. One generator for the whole package would be nice.

Edit: Google is handy, lol. Plenty of propane 240V gens out there.

snydes

Staff member
Would be good to know what will work. I'm planning on getting my EXR and an ATC toy hauler next summer. An option on the hauler is an Onan 5.5kw propane generator. I'm not going to pay the extra 5k if that gen can't charge the EXR on 240v, it is after all a 120v generator. My guess is two of the Onan's 120V plugs would not net me 240V even with the Quick200 convertor. I need to look into this further.

Yes, the adapter won’t do you any good with that generator. I have an Onan 4K and am in the same boat.

It would be rare to find a service that wasn’t 240v. Even if you didn’t have any 240v appliances in the home the power coming in to the panel is 240v to balance the load.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
5k for a generator vs $300 bucks off craigslist special seems like an easy decision to me!

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
@snydes @Philip @Judaslefourbe sounds like you have both been digging into this! Good advice so far.
It's on the trail where I need that fast charge, not at home. I'm interested in the 30A 120VAC route.
- two small quiet generators in parallel (30A 120VAC)
- RV park 30A outlet

Here's a 5KW voltage converter that can transform 120 up to 240
... BUT these produce the European version of 240 (0-240) as opposed to the USA version (120-120). Not sure if our Alta chargers would work with this Euro form of 240?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
... BUT these produce the European version of 240 (0-240) as opposed to the USA version (120-120). Not sure if our Alta chargers would work with this Euro form of 240?
This will work. But you will be carrying three large and heavy items, plus the charger. It will be quiet, but more complex and expensive than one simple 240V generator.

@Mark911 was going to tell us what he had to do to make his favorite generator quiet.

EDIT: Actually, he already did say it Page 1:
Best Alta Generator

snydes

Staff member
@snydes @Philip @Judaslefourbe sounds like you have both been digging into this! Good advice so far.
It's on the trail where I need that fast charge, not at home. I'm interested in the 30A 120VAC route.
- two small quiet generators in parallel (30A 120VAC)
- RV park 30A outlet

The RV park scenario is what I made the adapter for. The other thing is if you can find a RV Park with a 50 amp (240v) service, then you are good to go with just a custom adapter plug.

I’ve been curious if the charger would work for the euro voltage as well but haven’t been able to confirm from anyone.

I’ve also looked into the voltage transformers and to have a generator big enough to handle the amperage required would be into the 240v size anyhow. 30 amp is way to close to the danger zone and we know a guy that fried a couple generators trying to make that work.

snydes

Staff member
Quiver of adapters :)
Sounds like @Philip thinks the euro 240 will work.

Regardless of whether or not the charger would work as is on euro voltage, the step up transformer required to run the charger on 240v would likely burn up a 30 amp generator or trip a 30 amp breaker. That’s the real issue. If you are just interested in charging off of a 30 amp RV park outlet than the adapter method I believe can work. Most RV sites have an additional 15 amp outlet on the panel that (if not on the same leg of the service as the 30 amp plug) should work to give you 240v with the two into one adapter.

Whymee

Old and slow, but hopefull!
Personally, I do not think the "perfect" gen set for our Alta's have been manufactured yet. May never be.

I believe Alta's fast chargers need a low Total Harmonic Distortion (THD). I have seen posts where some peeps are having problems charging from some generators. If I had to make a guess, these lower priced generators are putting out "dirty" electric. Probably in the range of 18-25% THD.

Here is a quote from someone much smarter than I: For units that measure greater than 6% THD, the electrical wave can cause sensitive electrical circuits, such as computers or other minor electronics, to lose life. These components may malfunction or operate improperly.

A good gen set, the inverter type, is going to produce less than 5% THD. (Honda)

The problem being, in the USA, no one makes an acceptable Inverter generator, that is 240V capable, with at least 4000 to 4600 running watts.

To answer you question MattB, looking at the specifications of the generator you mentioned, I would say it meets all the requirements with the exception of 2 issues.

1. 74db. That 'taint quiet. May not matter to you. I think it is personal preference.
2. Total harmonic Distortion of less than 15%. Yes it is sending out a dirty signal. But it is not as dirty as a WEN gen set I was looking at that was less than 23%. You have to decide what your level of comfort is with the THD.

Read about THD here.