Alta Bike is on, but throttle not responding

Oded

Perhaps someone encountered the problem I am dealing with with my EX:

after a charge, the throttle stops working. sometimes it's working intermitently, and now not at all.
re- flashed the bike's firmware couple of times, replaced throttle with a new one, went through the harness' connectors....
no error codes on the dash or when connecting MT. the MT's dash even shows the throttle's graph responding correctly when I apply throttle, so its getting the correct signal, but the wheel does not spin.
it always happens after I charge the bike. after many attempts like re-flashing etc, the bike came back to its senses, but I have no idea why.

however, after the last charge, it's like this all the time. Throttle have no effect. still, no errors. everything seems fine, but bike can not be ridden.

Rashid is a great help, as always, and we are trying to resolve it. someone encountered it before?

enjoythesilenc

At some point we need to reverse engineer the canbus system. Does your bike have the CAN originating in the throttle harness or inside the inverter? I'm thinking that just because the throttle CAN value is seen by multitool on the bus doesn't mean the inverter is getting good messages. But I know just enough to be dangerous on this topic like many others.

enjoythesilenc

So you suspect the system is shutting itself down to keep the battery from being overcharged from regen activity? What is the batt voltage at the end of charging? The ride log of battery voltage during the initial"ride" might show how high the voltage goes during regen on a fully charged battery. maybe you will see the throttle stop working only after a particular voltage spike triggered by regen.

I have an mx if you want to compare multi tool data with full batteries, etc

Oded

The throttle's CAN is originating in the inverter (like the newer models).

Sense yesterday's full charge, the bike is not responding to throttle movement permanently, unlike before when it was intermittenty (like in the video I attached).

When I charged the battery to 70%, a week ago, bike was fine though...

Battery seems fine and well balanced.

IMG_20221010_074110.jpg

JP racing

I’m sure @Rashid510 would have a better guess but I would move on to testing the inverter and IGBT at this point.

Maybe, move to the other end and verify the motor is getting signal and power. A bad motor would be pretty unusual, but would fit the symptoms. Is there position sensor data available in multitool, try rotating the motor manually and see if that data makes sense.

There don’t seem to be any reports of any similar issues…

Oded

Update -
the bike won't run when the battery is 100% charged. when the SOC decreases a bit (to 95-98%), the bike starts responding to throttle inputs until everything is back to normal.
that explains why when charging to 100% the bike is not responsive, but when I cut the charge process before completion, the bike runs just fine.

spoke with Rashid, and the explanation is probably misbehaved stock BRD boards which were replaced on all A packs, as a recall.
my pack was not replaced due to my location (Israel).
I will try to update the BRDs boards fw, and avoid charging to 100%, and keep an eye on it.

Rashid was very helpful at diagnosing the problem as always. lucky to have him.

Oded

How did you get the voltage down? kept the key on and the water pump running for a while? Headlight etc?
Exactly.
It does shut off automatically after 15 minutes, so connected the bike to Multitool. It keeps the bike active.

Once the bike started to respond, bursts of power helped lower the voltage quicker.