Brand new throttle cuts out occasionally, trying to kill me.

apbaguley

I broke the plastic part in a tip over, this is why I purchased this replacement.

Yes, I did purchase the correct replacement for my Redshift MXR.

I installed my replacement which I purchased via eBay/liquid performance last week and went to the track and after 10 minutes with no problems on the face of a tabletop the throttle cut out and it said "Throttle Invertor malfunction" or something close to that. I didn't go over the bars, but close! I assumed that maybe the connection wasn't tight on the wires so I pulled the connectors apart and put them back together and made sure the connector was a tight fit and "snapped" together. Well I took the bike out to the local hills yesterday for its second ride and about 25 minutes in I started to head back to the truck and while going downhill a mildly bumpy few hundred foot decline the throttle gave and went into neutral and I left the bike on trying to get it to engage, pushing the wiring connectors in etc and it would not work and the screen kept saying "throttle invertor malfunction". The last thing I tried was turning the bike off and back on and the throttle worked again.

Any ideas on what's going on? I have 1,000 miles on the bike over a couple years and never had this happen once before. Did I get a faulty replacement throttle?

Mark911

Alta originally intended to provide extra "motor braking" when the throttle was turned backwards past the normal closed position. This never came to be, but the throttles still had the ability to turn slightly backwards and this caused the bike to shut off. The latest firmware was supposed to fix this dangerous condition, but I found that disabling the ability to turn back was the safest way to go. It just takes disassembling the throttle, removing the reverse turn spring and epoxy it so it can't turn backwards. Ive got a post somewhere in this forum showing how I did it. Simple and effective. That's where I'd start first.

rayivers

In addition, here's something I saved from a previous post (can't find the post now):

"Inverter Throttle Fault (if throttle rotated forward): "The latest FW version was already installed, so I located the real problem; the throttle cable plug/socket. One of the 6 male pins on the recessed throttle plug had been pushed in by the (female) harness socket & did not connect; with the pin back out even with the others, ops normal."

Matt

E-Rider
Check your kill switch too. Right now when my kill switch is on it can disengage even if it appears on just by moving ever so slightly. I think there is some dirt in it or something not sure yet haven't taken apart.

Fod

apbaguley

Alta originally intended to provide extra "motor braking" when the throttle was turned backwards past the normal closed position. This never came to be, but the throttles still had the ability to turn slightly backwards and this caused the bike to shut off. The latest firmware was supposed to fix this dangerous condition, but I found that disabling the ability to turn back was the safest way to go. It just takes disassembling the throttle, removing the reverse turn spring and epoxy it so it can't turn backwards. Ive got a post somewhere in this forum showing how I did it. Simple and effective. That's where I'd start first.
Oh this makes sense, my OG throttle did not roll forward but this one does just like my kids MC-E 50 on map 4.

My bike was updated with the most current firmware from someone on this forum. This information has been very helpful.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Oh this makes sense, my OG throttle did not roll forward but this one does just like my kids MC-E 50 on map 4.

My bike was updated with the most current firmware from someone on this forum. This information has been very helpful.

You need to update to the latest inverter firmware release. Mechanically adjusting the throttle will not suffice.

Mark911

You need to update to the latest inverter firmware release. Mechanically adjusting the throttle will not suffice.
Rolling back the throttle changes the output voltage of the throttle into a range that confuses the system, so it shuts down. If you prevent the ability to go below the shutdown voltage it'll work, 100%. Mine did this and I never had an issue after my fix. Frankly, I'd do both. I also incorporated a way to take the free play out of the throttle using an adjustable stop. Something that can't be done otherwise. Peace brother.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Rolling back the throttle changes the output voltage of the throttle into a range that confuses the system, so it shuts down. If you prevent the ability to go below the shutdown voltage it'll work, 100%. Mine did this and I never had an issue after my fix. Frankly, I'd do both. I also incorporated a way to take the free play out of the throttle using an adjustable stop. Something that can't be done otherwise. Peace brother.

The mechanical repair is a bit tougher and the software fix is tried and verfied (per NTHSA)