BREAKING NEWS: Amprius Creates a 500Wh/kg Battery

F451

Wow. That sounds amazing. I hope this technology pans out and is affordable enough to make its way into car, motorcycles, etc.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The math shows that the Alta/Stark battery would become either 35 - 40 lbs lighter, or will have more than twice the capacity. This is huge.

But as skeptics in the YouTube comments point out, battery tech breakthrough announcements happen fairly regularly, but we haven't seen them in commercial use yet either due to manufacturing difficulties or due to various unforeseen shortcomings.

As consumers, we will just have to wait and see. But perhaps motorcycle manufacturers and our DIY members could investigate this further.

Sandy Munro said it is legit, so maybe it is.

Number Six

Imagine a 200lb Stark Varg !
Range would increase substantially as weight drops.
Sadly, the current model bikes we've all been waiting on would be rendered obsolete in a hurry, such is the nature of constantly developing electronics.

happyinmotion

This is good news but the real story for batteries isn't one single advance. It's continued improvements in every part, every year, year on year, until it's good enough, and then it keeps getting better until batteries crush the opposition.

Better anodes, cathodes, electrolytes, separators. New chemistries occasionally - lithium is hard to beat for an anode but the cathode can be NMC, NCA, FP, etc...

Energy density improces by 5-8% per year, so doubles every 10-15 years. The first Tesla had 330 km range and cost silly money, now they can do over 600.

And best of all, price keeps plummeting, down 97% in the last 30 years.

Dirt-E

Yep, snake oil and empty promises until it actually hits shelves. Now, I could believe realistically just above half of what they claim, so 900-1000 might be where you end up on the first few rounds. Maybe a couple years down the road you get 1100-1300. But it will still be a decade or more before it filters into products like our dirt bikes.

I can live with 173lbs for my EXR. I want more range. So maybe shed 10-20lbs, get a realistic 60-70 miles of range and keep it below $15K and I would be happy to buy another electric bike. If I could get two full laps on the 16 miles of trails I have in my neighborhood then that would be enough for a pretty decent day of riding. Right now, I'm lucky if I can do one full lap and a couple of 2 mile short loops in anything above map 2.

CookieMonster

This sounds promising but I did not hear anything about automotive testing or environment specification. I remain cautiously optimistic of this technology.

Reeds79

If you can buy the batteries-prob not cheap! EV bike and car conversions-no problem! I’ll have a look on their website now.

Top Bottom