Broken display - solution?

Oded

A friend broke her EX's display. Anyone have any idea where a new one (generic perhaps?) Can be found.

Will a descent electrician be able to fix such display, or we shouldn't even try?

privateer703

AOF Addict
I doubt that the LCD displays were custom made. It's more likely a common size LCD. Without seeing the insides it's difficult to say how hard it would be to replace, but it's possible the display is easily sourced and all you need to do is de-solder the leads and re-solder onto the new display. Of course there could be a lot more "brains" there which could make it very difficult to replace.

datadog

The display is the termination point of the CAN bus. Unless you are able to install firmware on it, it will not communicate with the rest of the bus.

rayivers

A friend broke her EX's display. Anyone have any idea where a new one (generic perhaps?) Can be found.

I've been looking, nothing yet (mine has FLX-180100628 on the back). I did find the kill/start switch (Domino p/n 0459AB.5D.04-00).

Will a descent electrician be able to fix such display, or we shouldn't even try?

If it were me, I'd remove the back cover and examine the damage - might be an easy fix, might not. At the least, you might uncover some clues as to manufacturer.

Oded

And to think there is a pile of new displays just waiting behind the closed doors of the Alta facility.

And here we are trying to improvise a resuscitation to a dead display.

datadog

And to think there is a pile of new displays just waiting behind the closed doors of the Alta facility.

And here we are trying to improvise a resuscitation to a dead display.

There is not. Displays are one of the items of which we had no inventory. So, even if Alta was still in business, you would have no parts. Engineering had spec'd a new display, but that was not delivered before the doors were closed.

Oded

There is not. Displays are one of the items of which we had no inventory. So, even if Alta was still in business, you would have no parts. Engineering had spec'd a new display, but that was not delivered before the doors were closed.

Interesting, thanks.
Do you think it is something that a well trained electrician should disassemble and look into it?

bluefxstc

The display is the termination point of the CAN bus. Unless you are able to install firmware on it, it will not communicate with the rest of the bus.
Do you think we can replace the LCD display while leaving the display drivers alone to avoid the firmware issue or is it one integrated module?

@Oded, does the bike still work? I thoght I read somewhere that without the display the bike wouldn't work.

John Lindemann

I just went through this with my EX the week before Alta ceased. They sent one the dealer that was cosmetically damaged (I cannot see a thing wrong with it). As they were out of stock and on back order.
Yours looks just like mine. The LCD itself is cracked. I did take it apart and it has Alta printed all over the board so there’s nothing generic about it or any clue of who may have made it for Alta. When you replace it with a new one it has to be connected to an Alta computer at a dealer and flashed other wise it will display “test” and the bike will not run. It is possible that an Electronics tech could replace the LCD only if you had the LCD. That’s a long shot IMHO. You would want someone skilled at board level repairs.
I made a mount from aluminum and moved the display behind the handle bars where it’s a little safer from harm.
I was told the display was $399 retail and I paid about $270 for the one with cosmetic damage plus $120 to have it flashed. It was 4.5 hour drive to the dealer.
I feel your pain. I hope Alta reopens or datadog finds a source for you.
p.s. if you want pics of the mount I made PM me. 🌞⚡️🏍

Trialsman

Here is something to consider. Why don't you post the pictures so we can all see. Agreed there are only a handful of people who have actually crashed theirs. If we can prevent it from happening, it would be a good safeguard for the rest of us to keep our Altas running for a longer time. When people see the way you went about it, they may get other ideas. Posting ideas like this spurs even more innovation.