Can-Am Electric Motorcycles

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Ryan Kluftinger of FortNine posted an interesting video about the new Can-Am electric motorcycles. Some interesting powertrain innovations. But I was hoping that BRP could have taken some of the Alta tech they bought and improved on it a bit more.

F451

Can't watch 2 seconds of that guy. The Andy Rooney of the new century, lol.

And those Can Am's, not very impressive and spendy. Will be interesting to see if they sell in any quantity, I predict not.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah. Electric adventure motorcycles should have a hybrid powertrain with a small battery and a small on-board gas generator. I wonder who is going to attempt this first.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Kawasaki has a hybrid out already
Thanks! I didn't know about it. That's a good start. But it is a boring low-power Prius-style hybrid. More weight and complexity in the name of reduced emissions and a better fuel economy. I was thinking of a pure EV drive unit so that the maximum electric torque is plentiful and instantly available, plus an on-board gas-powered electric generator for unlimited long-distance driving, and no 6-speed gearbox.

HadesOmega

Hmm interesting, charging is ok but no dc fastcharging. I'm surprised the battery is water cooled. I don't know if I'd want an "ADV" bike without DC fastcharging, those seem to be the only chargers that are sprouting up lately compared to the L2 chargers. Battery is on the small side, I don't believe those range figures. If my redshift sm get's 40 miles I would expect these can am bikes to get MAYBE 60 miles.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
They should have just given Alta Motors back to us. It would have been a better financial decision than losing money on these electric unicorns that nobody will buy or use.

Some established auto and moto companies wanting to go electric are behaving like the airline industry in the 2000's. They continue to operate at a loss because not operating at all is more expensive.