Coolant Pump... not running with ignition on

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I was able to ride about 5 miles this evening. I noted that the coolant pump doesn't come on with the ignition. Actually, it never came on.

I read here that the pump comes on with the ignition. I was curious if was battery pack temperature dependent.

Is it a consensus that the pump runs all the time?

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
I walked across the living room to the bike and put my hand on the pump while I turned on the keyed switch.

The pump pulses four times when the key is turned, then nothing.

Seems logical that Alta would control the pump based on the battery temp, turning it on only when it's needed, to save battery power and the life of the pump.

rayivers

Is it a consensus that the pump runs all the time?

I'd say yes, definitely. Here's two excerpts from the Alta manual:

Page 10, #1: Turn the key clockwise to the ON position... You
may also hear the coolant pump power up and begin
to circulate coolant through the frame.

Page 75, #7: Turn the key to the ON position
to activate the coolant pump and circulate the coolant.

I know absolutely nothing about the Alta cooling system parameters, but I believe the coolant - especially in the motor casing - may get hot very quickly if not circulated continuously.

Ray

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
I'd say yes, definitely. Here's two excerpts from the Alta manual:

Page 10, #1: Turn the key clockwise to the ON position... You
may also hear the coolant pump power up and begin
to circulate coolant through the frame.

Page 75, #7: Turn the key to the ON position
to activate the coolant pump and circulate the coolant.

I know absolutely nothing about the Alta cooling system parameters, but I believe the coolant - especially in the motor casing - may get hot very quickly if not circulated continuously.

Ray

Thanks Ray, I read the same excerpts from the manual. I'll have to give the dealer a call tom'w and see how they want to handle it.

Does any one have direct access to people at Alta that will reply to an email?

Mark911

The water cooling is for the inverter and motor only. The pack is cooled via convection just like our old air cooled bikes. However, it makes sense that Alta would incorporate some kind of battery saving feature for power conservations as you mentioned (although my 2017 always runs the pump when the key is on, or off during charge). I suspect the inverter is part of the charging system and it needs to be kept cool during charge. If yours doesn't run during key-on, charge, or at all during normal operation it'll be the first I've ever heard.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
I connected the charger to check if the pump comes on. The display indicates its charging, but the pump is not running. I'll leave it charging and check it in 30 minutes or so.

Update: 20 minutes later and the pump is definitely not running.

ElectroBraap

When I key on, my pump starts and it doesn't stop until I key off. I personally wouldn't ride it like that. Sorry about your luck man. 🤕 Hope you get it sorted swiftly.

-Electro

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Here's an update:

The eastern service rep replied with the following:

Hi Mark,

Sorry you are having issues with your water pump. This behavior is not normal. In looking at the info for your VIN, it appears that the firmware is not up to date. This is the first thing that needs to happen for us to help the dealer solve your problem. It's possible that the older firmware is contributing to the problem with the pump. It's also possible that the pump or connection is faulty. In any case, the first step is to take it your dealer (Pilgrim Powersports) and have their service team update the firmware. After that, they can contact me for further instructions if the pump continues to malfunction.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance."

It'll be a couple weeks or more before I can get the bike to the dealer.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Update

I got back from my travels over the weekend and was hopeful that the dealer would have received the replacement Alta laptop to diagnose the inop water pump while I was gone. The dealer is still waiting for a replacement. I arranged to have the bike shipped to the dealer while I was gone in hopes to have the updates/repairs complete by the time I got back, Doesnt seem likely I'll be riding it this weekend as I planned.

Judaslefourbe

Update

I got back from my travels over the weekend and was hopeful that the dealer would have received the replacement Alta laptop to diagnose the inop water pump while I was gone. The dealer is still waiting for a replacement. I arranged to have the bike shipped to the dealer while I was gone in hopes to have the updates/repairs complete by the time I got back, Doesnt seem likely I'll be riding it this weekend as I planned.
Who is your dealer?

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Their laptop is supposed to be delivered on Friday according to FedEx.

Thank you for looking into this. I'm looking forward to riding it, albeit there is something novel about looking at your motorcycle in the living room without the smell of gas and oil......

BTW, its great that someone with the company is on this forum looking over things. It makes a difference. All of us here could have spent less on any other ICE motocrosser. The Alta is cutting edge technology and has something different to offer its riders, that's why I bought it.