Coolant Pump Replacement

chrisg19

My 2018 MXR coolant pump was buzzing really loudly when the key was turned on. I opened the fill plug and could see the coolant was full. But the coolant was visibly not moving within the full location.

The Pump is a Bosch PAD 12V and is readily available.

The coolant hoses are attached to the pump with heat shrink clamps. You can remove them with a razor knife if you are really careful I guess, I tried very carefully and still ended up cutting both hoses. A simple clamp could have been so much better. I guess they thought the electric pump would never burn out.

As of this text the left hose is available on EBay, but the right one is not.

I am going to try and trim them and see if there is enough play to re-clamp them. We will see. I also thought I might couple them to longer hose pieces if I have to.

There is not a ton of room to work in that bulkhead by the way. I guess if I remove the battery I could have a little more room, but that seems like a pain for a pump change.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
My 2018 MXR coolant pump was buzzing really loudly when the key was turned on. I opened the fill plug and could see the coolant was full. But the coolant was visibly not moving within the full location.

The Pump is a Bosch PAD 12V and is readily available.

The coolant hoses are attached to the pump with heat shrink clamps. You can remove them with a razor knife if you are really careful I guess, I tried very carefully and still ended up cutting both hoses. A simple clamp could have been so much better. I guess they thought the electric pump would never burn out.

As of this text the left hose is available on EBay, but the right one is not.

I am going to try and trim them and see if there is enough play to re-clamp them. We will see. I also thought I might couple them to longer hose pieces if I have to.

There is not a ton of room to work in that bulkhead by the way. I guess if I remove the battery I could have a little more room, but that seems like a pain for a pump change.

Most of the time the pump needs to be cleaned out from the original coolant usually, the procedure for cycling requires moving the key three times back and forth (on and off). Alta never had one of those pumps fail...and they are pretty dang reliable....

The hoses are attached with heat shrink clamps. We were planning to rev a change to go away from heat shrink clamps to worm gear style hose clamps to eliminate this issue. further more we were planning to combine the hoses into one part for simplicity.

You can technically reuse the hoses. I do have some left over hose clamps if you need them. That process does require removing the pack as it was done before pack install.

Welcome to 2018 when we all complained in MFG that it was a pain to work in there.