Do you switch maps while riding? I do.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know that some of the fastest pros often ride around the track in taller gears in order to be smooth and have the most traction? What is the equivalent of this on an electric bike?

The equivalent is riding in a map with low throttle sensitivity. Or in a low-power map in the current Stark Varg firmware, since throttle maps are not independently adjustable.

We all found out pretty quickly that 80hp is not the fastest setting around the MX track. A power setting that will let you stay pinned in a few sections is definitely faster.

But what if the track has one or several long straights or steep uphills where you can pass everyone if you uncork 60 or 80hp??

The Glen Helen's vet track is pretty smooth and flowy, with one exception of a short and steep uphill that turns into a tabletop and then a downhill jump... that is if you can jump and clear it. This Tuesday, I was finally able to clear it smoothly and very easily. And what did it take? It did not have to carry a crazy momentum around the tight, dusty, and off-camber right-hand turn before the uphill. I just merely selected the 55hp map right before this turn. Then I accelerated uphill, jumped, and switched back to the 45 or 40hp map that works great for the rest of the track.

You have to shift maps to be fast!!! Just like you have to shift gears on a gas bike, you have to shift maps on an electric bike to best fit the individual sections of the track. This is the fastest and smoothest way around the track. I do not think this will ever change no matter how much programming access Stark will give us to our torque/throttle/regen/traction maps.

Even in F1, drivers often fiddle with knobs and switches on their steering wheel adjusting their car several times around each lap.

What do you think?

fsfs

Do you know that some of the fastest pros often ride around the track in taller gears in order to be smooth and have the most traction? What is the equivalent of this on an electric bike?

The equivalent is riding in a map with low throttle sensitivity. Or in a low-power map in the current Stark Varg firmware, since throttle maps are not independently adjustable.

We all found out pretty quickly that 80hp is not the fastest setting around the MX track. A power setting that will let you stay pinned in a few sections is definitely faster.

But what if the track has one or several long straights or steep uphills where you can pass everyone if you uncork 60 or 80hp??

The Glen Helen's vet track is pretty smooth and flowy, with one exception of a short and steep uphill that turns into a tabletop and then a downhill jump... that is if you can jump and clear it. This Tuesday, I was finally able to clear it smoothly and very easily. And what did it take? It did not have to carry a crazy momentum around the tight, dusty, and off-camber right-hand turn before the uphill. I just merely selected the 55hp map right before this turn. Then I accelerated uphill, jumped, and switched back to the 45 or 40hp map that works great for the rest of the track.

You have to shift maps to be fast!!! Just like you have to shift the gearbox on a gas bike, you have to shift maps on an electric bike to best fit the individual sections of the track. This is the fastest and smoothest way around the track. I do not think this will ever change no matter how much programming access Stark will give us to our torque/throttle/regen/traction maps.

Even in F1, drivers often fiddle with knobs and switches on their steering wheel adjusting their car several times around each lap.

What do you think?

That is right. No single setting is right for every situation or section of the track.