Drivetrain getting louder

Magoo69

My motor or gearbox seems to be getting louder. I have +\- 30 hrs on my Varg. I’ve change the gear oil twice.

Any of you experienced this?

Theo

Do you have a video about that to share? I tried listening to the noise of my Varg while spinning the rear wheel on the stand and it seems to me that most of the noise comes from the chain. Are you sure this is not your case? Is your chain tension correct?

Magoo69

Do you have a video about that to share? I tried listening to the noise of my Varg while spinning the rear wheel on the stand and it seems to me that most of the noise comes from the chain. Are you sure this is not your case? Is your chain tension correct?
it’s only louder while riding under load…it’s not going to show up on the stand.

Theo

Ok, so I understand it would be better to listen to it but probably it would be little practical, so I guess we have to use a description.
Then, how would you describe the noise? Is it just the normal whirring noise but louder? Does it sound like bearings losing preload and shaking?

donnyviper

Ok, so I understand it would be better to listen to it but probably it would be little practical, so I guess we have to use a description.
Then, how would you describe the noise? Is it just the normal whirring noise but louder? Does it sound like bearings losing preload and shaking?
I REMOVED THE CHAIN, TOOK A VIDEO AND SENT IT TO STARK AND THEY SENT ME A NEW POWER UNIT. HAVENT SWAPPED IT OUT YET DUE TO LACK OF FREETIME.

Theo

I REMOVED THE CHAIN, TOOK A VIDEO AND SENT IT TO STARK AND THEY SENT ME A NEW POWER UNIT. HAVENT SWAPPED IT OUT YET DUE TO LACK OF FREETIME.
How many hours does your bike have? Have you noticed any other problems like play in the countershaft or debris in the old oil when changing it? Have you removed the oil filler cap and inspected the gears with a flashlight?
Sorry for the many questions but such a problem is serious.

donnyviper

How many hours does your bike have? Have you noticed any other problems like play in the countershaft or debris in the old oil when changing it? Have you removed the oil filler cap and inspected the gears with a flashlight?
Sorry for the many questions but such a problem is serious.

donnyviper

i now Have under 20 hrs, it started making noise at 10. I havent noticed anything else. They sent me a new power unit i havent swapped it yet. The way i ride with over 35 hp and 50% regen you cant hear it. i hear it in 15% 0 regen , thats my "load in the truck setting. i did also do an oil change at the time of the noise deminished. I tried to load my video but was unable.

Foss

i now Have under 20 hrs, it started making noise at 10. I havent noticed anything else. They sent me a new power unit i havent swapped it yet. The way i ride with over 35 hp and 50% regen you cant hear it. i hear it in 15% 0 regen , thats my "load in the truck setting. i did also do an oil change at the time of the noise deminished. I tried to load my video but was unable.
How long did it take for you to receive your replace powertrain unit?

I actually have been closely monitoring an issue with excessive metallic gear oil changes. Now combined with a bad bearing sound in the counter shaft. Stark has honored a powertrain swap for me but was a bit of a long process. So I will be doing the motor swap very soon as well. Here are some of the photos which shows unusual polishing of the pinions.

IMG_6345.jpeg

IMG_6346.jpeg

mike61

Wow!
That sounds not good!

How is it possible that a simple bearing can make such a nois after such a short time?
Maybe mistakes in assembly process.......
Tension, not in the end position on shaft or......?

Let us know how easy or complicated a motor change can be!
Good luck!

Foss

Wow!
That sounds not good!

How is it possible that a simple bearing can make such a nois after such a short time?
Maybe mistakes in assembly process.......
Tension, not in the end position on shaft or......?

Let us know how easy or complicated a motor change can be!
Good luck!
Thanks, yea I shared these photos and video so others can hear and see what to look for with a defective powertrain.

To be honest this powertrain unit swap does not seem complicated. Just the torque spec will slow me down.

Theo

This issue is quite serious especially because just on this forum there is more than a person having reported a weird sound and two people will have to change the power unit: apparently the probability to have it is significant.
On the other hand:
- in the first two years the replacement is free,
- past the first two years, maybe the parts to just replace the bearings and/or gears will be available and the whole power unit costs about 700 € anyways, if I recall correctly (I don't see it in the website anymore),
- this bike still seems more reliable than the typical gas bike.

I remember having read in the manual that every 80 hours a workshop should inspect the transmission bearings; maybe they knew that some problems were not so unlikely.

@Foss: at what power settings have you used your bike?

Foss

I’m always at 60HP with the original sprockets and a MX34 Dunlop or MX14 rear. Also my weight is 220lb so I am on the heavier side but a novice rider mostly on a MX track, no endurance.

I do see on Starks website if you change the geographical region they have options in selling their powertrain units. Some of these options are refurbished. I wonder if the warranty replacements we receive are refurbished units? Probably not, but seeing that they have an option it can always be on the table if they change their warranty policy.

To be honest the countershaft and bearings do not seem to difficult to replace. I prefer to do this rather than a motor swap.