General EMX ready for pre-order.

E-woodrider

Nice bunch of guys who have developed this powertrain . . .and you can't go too far wrong with the Yamaha based chassis. But not sure they've got the pricing right - 19,000 Euros . . . would be a stretch for most to justify. Hopefully there will be enough buyers out there to give these guys a chance. We need 'choice' beyond Stark.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
But not sure they've got the pricing right - 19,000 Euros . . . would be a stretch for most to justify.
I only saw the €950 pre-order price. Where did you see €19K?

Does this EV powertrain kit come with a brand-new Yamaha in a crate? Then I would say the price is fair.

Although, selling a new ICE engine on eBay won't bring down the cost all that much. It would still be cheaper to buy two Altas.

E-woodrider

It's quoted on their website on the pre-order page -18,750 Euros. No, its essentially a Yamaha rolling chassis with a nicely designed system installed. They've done a great job. I spoke to the developers in Holland a few times - very passionate and have realistically tested the bike. No offence, but ALTA doesn't exist anymore . . .I think we need to move on. Two may be cheaper - but only because they're obsolete and unrealistic for the average rider to maintain. That said, 18,750 euros is also unrealistic for the average rider. Sur-ron Storm seems to be the only bike hitting a decent price-point - Stark a close second and potentially more bike for your buck. I hope so - got one on back order :) I also have a Storm (Enduro). It's a pretty good bike.
I only saw the €950 pre-order price. Where did you see €19K?

Does this EV powertrain kit come with a brand-new Yamaha in a crate? Then I would say the price is fair.

Although, selling a new ICE engine on eBay won't bring down the cost all that much. It would still be cheaper to buy two Altas.
. .

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
No offence, but ALTA doesn't exist anymore . . .I think we need to move on. Two may be cheaper - but only because they're obsolete and unrealistic for the average rider to maintain.
I bought three Altas so that I can always have at least two of them running. My annual powertrain-related maintenance and repair costs and labor have been close to zero. I had to replace the BMS on one of them three years ago, but that was less work and less money than swapping a piston.

Altas will start becoming obsolete when Stark Vargs will start appearing at my local tracks.

E-woodrider

Really? As an owner of 2 Altas, I don't feel that way at all, not even close. I'm guessing you've never owned one, and may have never ridden one?
I appreciate people on this forum are very passionate about them - and with good reason. No, never ridden one, but I'm not doubting your praise. I tried to buy bikes on a commercial basis several times. I visited the Alta factory in San Francisco many years back just after they moved there and had a tour with the CEO - impressive all round. Being in the UK was hard to get bikes shipped here from them. I was pitching to buy 10 bikes here for our track but back orders and setting up dealers in the USA took priority for them. Whilst they had an internal guy 'looking after Europe', he had no product . . .and then 'boom' - it was all over. I was stunned like everyone else as they presented a pretty solid exterior. I hope Stark isn't Alta2. :)

E-woodrider

Partially related... How do you find the Storm bee as a full size Enduro bike?
I just use it for closed circuit practice on a woodland course. I'm about 13 stone and pulls me up steep climbs no problem and can find traction. A friend who is about 16 stone also found it had plenty of power in the tank even on mid level power. Riding position and size is OK for my height 5'-10". David Knight has one and at over 6 foot, he seems very happy with it. Perhaps feels a bit low in terms of clearance and the forks could do with a beef up internally for heavier riders. Battery life seems OK. Hard to say as my course is pretty hard on juice due to the long climbs but after about 25 mins riding on mid setting its down to about 70% but I've had a pro-rider on max setting almost clean the bike out in 30 mins. But its a solid bike compared to their LBX . . .which was poor in our experience.

Oded

I just use it for closed circuit practice on a woodland course. I'm about 13 stone and pulls me up steep climbs no problem and can find traction. A friend who is about 16 stone also found it had plenty of power in the tank even on mid level power. Riding position and size is OK for my height 5'-10". David Knight has one and at over 6 foot, he seems very happy with it. Perhaps feels a bit low in terms of clearance and the forks could do with a beef up internally for heavier riders. Battery life seems OK. Hard to say as my course is pretty hard on juice due to the long climbs but after about 25 mins riding on mid setting its down to about 70% but I've had a pro-rider on max setting almost clean the bike out in 30 mins. But its a solid bike compared to their LBX . . .which was poor in our experience.
Thanks for the report.

Any quality issues? Plastics, switches, errors..?

Can a larger rear tire be installed (120 or 140 18 rear)?

E-woodrider

Thanks for the report.

Any quality issues? Plastics, switches, errors..?

Can a larger rear tire be installed (120 or 140 18 rear)?
Overall, it seems well made, similar to KTM standard of my Freeride-E's and Gasser 250 - nothing failed so far but not done a huge amount on it. I have given it to a couple of inexperienced riders who have crashed it a couple of times and its withstood that abuse very well. Some nice little details, bags of dashboard options, regen etc and I love the reverse gear . . .very useful ! Not sure about the tyre . . though the 18" tyre that comes as standard offers good traction and is lightweight. Pretty sure you'd get a 120 in there but over-tyreing just adds weight (and to the drive system) and could have the net result of sapping more energy with little gain in grip. Brakes could possibly be better so perhaps thats one area a serious fiddler may want to work on. But as standard, I think its a great bike for the money.