How many want to keep the foot brake?

strider

I'm having the Alta LHRB kit installed by the dealer prior to picking up the bike so I will never ride the bike w/ the foot brake. Of course this is my first dirt bike so I have no muscle memory to overcome. Well, at least not when it comes to braking.... that whole body position on top of the bike in corners thing? THAT is going to take some work.... :muutt:

My kids have only ridden electric and their bikes (Oset and Kuberg) have LHRBs. You have MUCH better control with your fingers than your feet.

griffbl

I'm having the Alta LHRB kit installed by the dealer prior to picking up the bike so I will never ride the bike w/ the foot brake. Of course this is my first dirt bike so I have no muscle memory to overcome. Well, at least not when it comes to braking.... that whole body position on top of the bike in corners thing? THAT is going to take some work.... :muutt:

My kids have only ridden electric and their bikes (Oset and Kuberg) have LHRBs. You have MUCH better control with your fingers than your feet.
I much prefer the FEEL of a hand brake. I just went with a cable kit to preserve the originality of the bike....otherwise I would not hesitate to remove the foot brake.

Speedkills

I miss the foot brake sometime, and if I could have a strong LHRB and keep the foot brake I would. My first time without it was hilarious, I tell myself, no foot brake, no foot brake, roll out of the shop with the balls of my feet on the pegs where I love them, pull away and loft the front end out of habit, then slip my right foot forward and press down, nothing there, crap, now panic sets in and I pull the clutch out of habit. Problem solved :D

Oded

I read that the stopping power with mechanical OX brake is limited. Did you notice it?

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I've had some time to ride with the LHRB and without a doubt, it's amazing how much more control you have over the rear wheel. My setup keeps the rear foot brake. I found that with the LHRB I use the rear brake all the time when braking which has improved my riding and overall confidence. It's much easier to modulate the rear brake.

LHRB with Foot Brake Pros:
+Use your foot brake to hold the bike when you put your gloves or helmet on. I found I really missed this with just the LHRB working, especially with no gear to hold the bike.
+Letting people ride your Alta. I'm surprised how many people want to try it and just ask. Without a foot brake they dont feel comfortable braking.
+Rear brake light switch. There may be caliper mounted switches, but KTM style master cylinder switches are easy and cheap to find.
+Best of both systems. I can use either one. If my left finger is tired or cramping up, I can switch to using the foot lever.

LHRB with Foot Brake Cons:
-You still have a foot brake that can bend, or worse, break the RBH like mine did, when I low sided the bike.
-Possibility of over pressurizing the rear brake master cylinder and having the sight glass pop out. Haven't seen it happen on mine, but have read about this happening.
-You still have the rear brake master cylinder guard that your boot rubs up against.

Slayer

Rekluse have an Alta suitable LHRB that retains the foot brake.
I use it, works great.
Oded, I have the 2019 EXR and need the brake light for traveling on the road. The Rekluse system you have will provide for this? If so, can you provide the specifics on the system for me. Just want to confirm what I saw on the manufactures web site is what I would need.
Thanks.

Speedkills

FWIW I never find myself in a situation on the road where I pull the rear brake and don't at least touch the front lever, which is enough to activate the brake light.

Oded

Oded, I have the 2019 EXR and need the brake light for traveling on the road. The Rekluse system you have will provide for this? If so, can you provide the specifics on the system for me. Just want to confirm what I saw on the manufactures web site is what I would need.
Thanks.

The Rekluse kit does retain the rear brake light function, so don't worry about that.
Rekluse offer a specific kit for the Alta (pretty sure it is the same for KTM, just labeled differently). So, ask for that.

John Lindemann

You can put together any brake hose configuration you want using Goodridge components from Tucker or other suppliers. I put together a LHRB which retains the foot pedal. I haven't ridden enough with it to comment as to whether I could get along without the pedal.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
You can put together any brake hose configuration you want using Goodridge components from Tucker or other suppliers. I put together a LHRB which retains the foot pedal. I haven't ridden enough with it to comment as to whether I could get along without the pedal.
Could you please post a link?

Goodridge does not sell direct, but lists Tucker as one of their distributors. Tucker does not sell direct, but lists their own distributors.

Slayer

Ready to wrap up the AM LHRB kit install and I am not liking the route of the cable through the headstock and around the dash on the EXR. anyone been there, and have a suggestion? Also what do you do with this stuff...image.jpeg

Oded

Do Ox brakes have different models? Which one fits the Alta?
How is the braking power? Can you easily lock the rear wheel?

griffbl

Do Ox brakes have different models? Which one fits the Alta?
How is the braking power? Can you easily lock the rear wheel?
My dealer (not Alta, but Husky) procured the correct kit. The model they used was compatible with most newer KTM's and Husky's .....The critical part is the rear Hydraulic cylinder, (which I think for Alta as KTM and Husky) as that is where the cable guide is secured. The aluminum piece that attached to the rear of the brake lever required slight modification. Sorry that is not exact, but I hope it helps!