Alta Killing Alta

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
First, let me state this. Alta is the first legit electric dirt bike.

Second, the "IP" that BRP acquired is just about completely without value. This is not because Harley holds some blocking methods by which they can screw BRP. Where are the design and R&D engineers? The pieces of paper and schematics are worth nothing without the people. Even if BRP has competent EV engineers they will likely balk at the Alta technology (not invented here syndrome).

The Alta tech is not old. Copper is still copper. Neodymium is still neodymium. Electrical steel is still electrical steel. Cells have gotten a bit better, but not much. From my perspective Alta's most valuable tech is their mistakes. The motor diameter is a bit too small. The battery cooling is not good enough. It is easy to say these things in hind sight -- I would have made these mistakes too. I am grateful that Alta made these mistakes for me. Hats off to them for making so few of them.

The important thing is that it lives on. F9 is wrong. It is not dead.

As said earlier, the IP is mired in so much red tape (Redshift 1.0) and internal infighting that there is no point to really use the acquired tech other than smothering it since it was a good idea. Zero Motorcycles/Yamaha/Honda/KTM bought Altas to analyze and realize what they need to do potentially.

Do Altas live on? Heck ya! With the network and supply chain that exists now it is easily doable.

PS - Strong words from the next chapter. Lets see if you can pull it off.

synics

First, let me state this. Alta is the first legit electric dirt bike.

Second, the "IP" that BRP acquired is just about completely without value. This is not because Harley holds some blocking methods by which they can screw BRP. Where are the design and R&D engineers? The pieces of paper and schematics are worth nothing without the people. Even if BRP has competent EV engineers they will likely balk at the Alta technology (not invented here syndrome).

The Alta tech is not old. Copper is still copper. Neodymium is still neodymium. Electrical steel is still electrical steel. Cells have gotten a bit better, but not much. From my perspective Alta's most valuable tech is their mistakes. The motor diameter is a bit too small. The battery cooling is not good enough. It is easy to say these things in hind sight -- I would have made these mistakes too. I am grateful that Alta made these mistakes for me. Hats off to them for making so few of them.

The important thing is that it lives on. F9 is wrong. It is not dead.
Yeah, imagine if they made that same motor the size of like a QS138 90H. Good grief that thing would be incredible.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
I already commented previously my views as why Alta was destined to fail but had the posting removed......

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I already commented previously my views as why Alta was destined to fail but had the posting removed......
@Bionicman -- I spent several hours today searching for this post. This was out of my curiosity, but also I do not want anyone to think that mods routinely remove posts here. Such drastic actions are usually limited to spam and some flame wars. Sorry, I am head-scratching here. 🤔

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
@Bionicman -- I spent several hours today searching for this post. This was out of my curiosity, but also I do not want anyone to think that mods routinely remove posts here. Such drastic actions are usually limited to spam and some flame wars. Sorry, I am head-scratching here. 🤔
No worries dude-not my sandbox
I’m not butt hurt
I’ll drop it -it was a post from months ago I’ve moved on 😎😎

I searched for the communication regarding the outside looking in opinion post and couldn’t find any records 🤷‍♂️I’ll search more later