KTM65 Electric Conversion

snydes

Staff member
I was thinking 20s as well, but the capacity doesn’t add up for me with any of the parallel configurations. I’m likely missing something though.

F451

Wow! Super impressed. Great work guys.

PLEASE post the links to the vids when you can.

And how about charging? How is that done? How long to re-charge to 100%?

F451

And all this electron business. So many new words. After riding dirt bikes and motorcycles for I don't know how many years I was finally getting a handle on jetting basics and suspension tuning. With the electric bikes I feel like I was left back, then we got a new teacher that is skipping over all the easy stuff and I'm lost, Lol. Learning a ton though! Slowly...

snydes

Staff member
And all this electron business. So many new words. After riding dirt bikes and motorcycles for I don't know how many years I was finally getting a handle on jetting basics and suspension tuning. With the electric bikes I feel like I was left back, then we got a new teacher that is skipping over all the easy stuff and I'm lost, Lol. Learning a ton though! Slowly...

I know the feeling. I’m way behind the curve too. All I can say for sure is we have some very talented members here.

F451

I know the feeling. I’m way behind the curve too. All I can say for sure is we have some very talented members here.

Absolutely. And I really appreciate how willing everyone is to take the time to share the knowledge. And how easy going everyone is.

Thread jack! Sorry, Lol.

Mark911

Ok, @Rishid510 wins! The original Alta (MX) uses Panasonic NCR 18650 BD cells. The data sheet on these cells say 3.6v, 3180ma typical (I measured more like 3150).

The voltage - You know the voltage =72, so 72/3.6 = 20 cells in series, easy.

From the dyno chart 10.5hp = 7.8kw. @90% efficiency 7.8kw = 8.6 kw/72v (nominal voltage) = 120amps (this number will be used later).

P Groups- This is where engineering judgement comes into play, how hard to push the selected cell. Anyone that owns an Alta MX with the Panasonics should be aware that at full load its pulling about 120-130 amps or more depending on conditions. The Alta has 6 cells per P group so that's 120/6 = 20 amp cell. That's like 20/3 = 7C peak! Too much in my mind and one reason the MX has thermal problems at race pace.

What's more reasonable? My engineering judgement said 5C. 5C * 3ah =15 amps per cell. So that's 15/120 (remember the number above) = 8 cells per P group. So we get 8P x 20S

Note, it does make a difference what comes first, the P or S designation. If the pack is made using a bunch of P groups connected in series it's P first. If the pack is made by combining a bunch of series connected cells in parallel its S first. It sounds dumb until you start working out how to keep the cells all balanced and/or try to fuse the thing. BIG difference. Ours is P first, the most common.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
This game was rigged!!! Either the Alta's 6p 84s A-pack is just a 302V pack (not 350V), or Mark's pack is really an 84V pack (not 72V)!
I quit!!! :muutt:

snydes

Staff member
Ok, @Rishid510 wins! The original Alta (MX) uses Panasonic NCR 18650 BD cells. The data sheet on these cells say 3.6v, 3180ma typical (I measured more like 3150).

Ahhh, that’s where I was going wrong, I thought the calculations would go on rated capacity and not typical. Thanks for the explanation!