Lost Title. (Update)

BarneyNJ

Posting here because I figured there would be more traffic and better chance of getting the answer I'm hoping for.

Long story short, I don't have the title for my Alta that I bought used from a dealer in NJ that is now closed down.

Is there any possible way to get some form of documentation for this bike or am I fucked?

Thanks guys.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Titles get lost all the time. If you ever had one, you should be able to get a replacement at your Secretary of State, or DMV.

If not, you can apply for a new title. They will take some time to check that the bike was not stolen and should issue you a new title.

snydes

Staff member
To clarify do you mean the state issued title or the MCO/MSO that the dealer gives you to apply for a title? If it’s the latter the state will not be able to help.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
If this bike has been ever titled, its in someones DMV system. And to @snydes point, the MCO is what allows the title to be minted. It has the engine number and the VIN.

MCOs did come from Armanino...but that was also after the company went under. You may also have to reach out the dealers.

Jayfox911

I got a title without one once. I had to buy special insurance and show that to dmv that of the bike came back stolen in the next 12 months the insurance would pay out.

BarneyNJ

To clarify do you mean the state issued title or the MCO/MSO that the dealer gives you to apply for a title? If it’s the latter the state will not be able to help.
Yeah, the actual title. The dealer where I got it keeps saying he gave it to me the day I took the bike but there is no way. I don't remember a thing about a title.

BarneyNJ

If this bike has been ever titled, its in someones DMV system. And to @snydes point, the MCO is what allows the title to be minted. It has the engine number and the VIN.

MCOs did come from Armanino...but that was also after the company went under. You may also have to reach out the dealers.
Am I able to search the dmv system with my vin or do they have to do it?

enjoythesilenc

If 'somebody" had it titled to them, they will have to obtain the new copy of their own title. If you never transferred a title into your name, you can't get a replacement for a title you never had.

The dealer might have had an mco with the bike which you would have to convert into a title yourself. Probably not if you bought from the dealer used.

If the dealer had a title, they would have just done a dealer transfer on the back of the owner's original title, so i don't know if the state would have any way to track that transaction, they will still think its titled to the previous owner.

You could do a title search, possibly through your dmv online. Or get a LEO friend to run the vin, etc. In virginia, you can get a title by way of abandoned vehicle process. Plenty of rocks to turn over going forward.

BarneyNJ

If 'somebody" had it titled to them, they will have to obtain the new copy of their own title. If you never transferred a title into your name, you can't get a replacement for a title you never had.

The dealer might have had an mco with the bike which you would have to convert into a title yourself. Probably not if you bought from the dealer used.

If the dealer had a title, they would have just done a dealer transfer on the back of the owner's original title, so i don't know if the state would have any way to track that transaction, they will still think its titled to the previous owner.

You could do a title search, possibly through your dmv online. Or get a LEO friend to run the vin, etc. In virginia, you can get a title by way of abandoned vehicle process. Plenty of rocks to turn over going forward.
Appreciate the response. I'm going to try everything I can.

BarneyNJ

Well, my girlfriend works at a dealership and spoke with yamaha. Turns out my bike was never titled in California nor in NJ. We uncovered a bunch of shiesty shit that the dealer I bought it from did. Going to be reaching out to some lawyers real soon. Yamaha will be involved as well. Unbelievable.

B. FRANK

possibly...dirtlegal will get your bike registered in Maine where they don't title dirt bikes. you can then use that registration which is a Maine title to change your title to New Jersey. was the dealer stumpys in Neptune city?

Attachments

• TRANSFERABLE TITLE FOR ALTA MX.pdf
    283.7 KB · Views: 2

Fog 25

If you state can’t help try department of custom. I sold a bike with a lost MSO and buyer was able to get titled through customs.