New UK owner road legal gen 2

Aleksandar13

Hello everyone, I have ordered an 80hp red stark road legal with enduro wheel side stand and left hand brake. Hopefully to be delivered next week as it was in stock with the dealer. I have never tested one and currently own a 1090 adv r which I have uses for adventure riding and green laning. 6 months ago I was not a big fan of electric power trains but a riding buddy pointed out the stark and I started watching videos and reading stuff and decided to get one.
Plan would be to get on it in single lane forest trails and some enduro venues across the UK. Have a generator and charge it close to the van. I have found the forum yesterday and thought I'd introduce myself and also see if there are any other members from UK in here.

A few qs for owners and recommendations :

Handguards? I see people quoting ktm ones on YouTube but don't know if someone can guide me into the part or link?!
Stock tubes, how bad are they do people really swap them out immediately...?
Stark phone, can it e used to navigate to a place if required? Through and app!?
Side stand on gen 2 the same?!

Can't wait to get mine and test next week. I'm excited to say the least especially after going on some technical trails on my 1090 advr in the peak district and lifting it up on steep rocky hills 😀😀.

Aleks

liiam

Hey mate.. I am currently looking for an option to get my hands on a Stark Varg Alpha (Road Legal) as well. I haven't quite cleared it with the wife yet but if she is getting a cat I am getting a Stark.. Are you in London area ?

Aleksandar13

Also what is the insurance situation?
Hi mate,

I haven't checked the insurance situation, I'm based in Colchester. I've had to have this bike and I will ask the insurance today or tomorrow how much it is and let you know. The dealer I've used is a reputable in the enduro world and has 5 starks pre reg so that would give you some options if you'd like to use him. He is in Cornwall but offered free delivery.
Aleks

liiam

Thanks ill have a look that that dealer.. I've just called an insurer after doing the quote online and they are about £2500 for comprehensive.. ouch .. I think 3rd party it is haha..

chamber

Chau. That's the attitude! I also ordered Start Varg without test driving it and have no regrets even having different bikes and no time riding them. If you are not MX rider, you will mostly use 30-40hp which more than is enough for trails. Generator mostly is not required as full battery will give you 3-4 hour session.

- Handguards? I see people quoting ktm ones on YouTube but don't know if someone can guide me into the part or link?!
I use Acerbis MX Uniko with no overlap frame to save my wrists in case of stop drop, but you are able to mount any other MX/Enduro handguards, there's plenty of space on handlebars.

- Stock tubes, how bad are they do people really swap them out immediately...?
Get rid of these and swap to heavy duty. I though it is just a legend, but at my surprise I got flat after some pressure being stuck in swamp.

- Stark phone, can it e used to navigate to a place if required? Through and app!?
Yes, you can use Google Maps or other Android apps which don't require SIM. For emergency calls you can use Telegram.

- Side stand on gen 2 the same?!
Didn't hear they made change to it.

Enjoy it!

Aleksandar13

Thanks ill have a look that that dealer.. I've just called an insurer after doing the quote online and they are about £2500 for comprehensive.. ouch .. I think 3rd party it is haha..
I was not able to find online search engine that recognised the brand name or the model, did you? Currently waiting on MSM insurance which has been recommended by the dealer to come back to me with a quote.

Aleksandar13

Chau. That's the attitude! I also ordered Start Varg without test driving it and have no regrets even having different bikes and no time riding them. If you are not MX rider, you will mostly use 30-40hp which more than is enough for trails. Generator mostly is not required as full battery will give you 3-4 hour session.

- Handguards? I see people quoting ktm ones on YouTube but don't know if someone can guide me into the part or link?!
I use Acerbis MX Uniko with no overlap frame to save my wrists in case of stop drop, but you are able to mount any other MX/Enduro handguards, there's plenty of space on handlebars.

- Stock tubes, how bad are they do people really swap them out immediately...?
Get rid of these and swap to heavy duty. I though it is just a legend, but at my surprise I got flat after some pressure being stuck in swamp.

- Stark phone, can it e used to navigate to a place if required? Through and app!?
Yes, you can use Google Maps or other Android apps which don't require SIM. For emergency calls you can use Telegram.

- Side stand on gen 2 the same?!
Didn't hear they made change to it.

Enjoy it!

It is nice to hear that people enjoy their Bikes and it is special in a way and it is not just media hype online.

If I can get 4 hours riding out of the bike I will be more than happy. The idea of the Generator was that I am able to travel to Enduro venues and at lunch top up the battery if needed. For the moment I am not buying one and will test the battery out on few outings and occasions and see how I get on.

I have a dmd2 smartphone which I use as a navigation unit for the 1090adv r. And to be able to use this for GPX route through green lanes on the Stark phone is great that is amazing.

Delivery is now scheduled for Thursday , fingers crossed it arrives in time and I have insurance sorted out so I can take it out for a spin.

Beagle

It is nice to hear that people enjoy their Bikes and it is special in a way and it is not just media hype online.

If I can get 4 hours riding out of the bike I will be more than happy. The idea of the Generator was that I am able to travel to Enduro venues and at lunch top up the battery if needed. For the moment I am not buying one and will test the battery out on few outings and occasions and see how I get on.

I have a dmd2 smartphone which I use as a navigation unit for the 1090adv r. And to be able to use this for GPX route through green lanes on the Stark phone is great that is amazing.

Delivery is now scheduled for Thursday , fingers crossed it arrives in time and I have insurance sorted out so I can take it out for a spin.
We can sense new bike excitement in your posts 😁
May I ask about your VIN number, does it end in 7XXX, 8XXX, 9XXX?

liiam

God I wish I only had to wait until Thursday.. Well jealous..

I have seen a few reviews that claim absolutely max 50 minutes track time at 45HP ? Can that be true ?

The dealer I am in touch with says it will take them 30 days to get plates on it after purchase. So I will either have to admire it for a month in the garage or find a different dealer.. What was the dealer in Colchester called ?

What even are the rules in terms of finding places to ride except proper Mx tracks?

Aleksandar13

I have seen a few reviews that claim absolutely max 50 minutes track time at 45HP ? Can that be true ?

The dealer I am in touch with says it will take them 30 days to get plates on it after purchase. So I will either have to admire it for a month in the garage or find a different dealer.. What was the dealer in Colchester called ?

What even are the rules in terms of finding places to ride except proper Mx tracks?

Hi Mate,

The Dealer is:

STARK VARG 80 ROAD REGISTERED ON 24 PLATE​

WWW.STBLAZEYMX.CO.UK - UK DELIVERY AVAILABLE

They had Friday 5 pre registered Stark's in stock, as long as you can agree a spec with him that is achievable then you can have one in a week.

He is not in Colchester , somewhere in Cornwall but doesn't matter he will deliver for free.

Aleks

Aleksandar13

We can sense new bike excitement in your posts 😁
May I ask about your VIN number, does it end in 7XXX, 8XXX, 9XXX?
:D

Right boys, 2 more sleeps to go until delivery. The insurance has proven to be a pain in the bottom ( Mainly my fault as well, I don't have a clean licence, some of us speed and get done for it) but there seems to be only two companies that really want to hear about the Stark.

One of them is MSM msm@msminsurance.co.uk , these people have been recommended from the dealer and they have been amazing and supportive.

Would highly recommend checking with them before buying insurance if you need to insure the bike.

Aleksandar13

Sorry I forgot to reply regarding the Venues you can find. In the uk there is plenty of places who have Enduro type of riding and you can pre-book or turn up and hope you can pay and get in.

Endurovalley

Enduro Events | actiontrax.co.uk

Hit the Dirt off-road practice track

Contact us / Wern Ddu Quarry

Moor Park Enduro Club

Some of them listed above in the Kent area, Cambridge , Suffolk and one in Wales.

Most of these apart from the one in Wales are around 1hour and a bit for me which is ok and I will start looking into these.

Hope this helps.

Did I mention I am getting my stark on Thursday :eek::ricky:

liiam

Yeah I've found a few within an hour from me, so will have a look into that as well..
How much were u able to find insurance for taking your violations into account ?
I am looking at 3rd party only at this point due to the ridiculously heigh price for comprehensive..

I am in contact with your dealer and he has one for me..

Also gonna have to look into some road tyres..

Aleksandar13

Yeah I've found a few within an hour from me, so will have a look into that as well..
How much were u able to find insurance for taking your violations into account ?
I am looking at 3rd party only at this point due to the ridiculously heigh price for comprehensive..

I am in contact with your dealer and he has one for me..

Also gonna have to look into some road tyres..
Don't bother with comprehensive as you won't find. If you get in touch with MSM they would sort it out for you. Ask for Jill she has been very profesional.
I'm 37... and 8 points on licence don't ask. It's been painful... Less than 11 months until I go down to 3 points😂... And I've ended up with third part with no fire or theft for 210 a year.

liiam

Okay that's not bad at all.. I'll call them tomorrow.
I'm 34 and no points as I haven't had a bike since I moved to the UK. I've held a MC license since I was 18 though and had a 1250 Bandit for a good 6 years so hopefully they can sort me out too.

Is your bike being delivered by currier or is it the bike shop that delivers ? I'm about 2.5 hours from the shop so tempted to pick it up myself..

Aleksandar13

Okay that's not bad at all.. I'll call them tomorrow.
I'm 34 and no points as I haven't had a bike since I moved to the UK. I've held a MC license since I was 18 though and had a 1250 Bandit for a good 6 years so hopefully they can sort me out too.

Is your bike being delivered by currier or is it the bike shop that delivers ? I'm about 2.5 hours from the shop so tempted to pick it up myself..
It gets delivered by courier. I would get it delivered and enjoy riding close to home. 🤩... Can't wait mate.

liiam

I like the Forest grey but would be happy with white too.. Can always wrap it myself.. Can't decide what to do break wise.. I'm used to foot break as rear but not sure if it would be just as good just to have it as a hand break.. what did u go for?? Are you getting proper road tyres as welll?