Offroad struggles with the MX bike

enjoythesilenc

My next project is to improve the OEM suspension if possible. It stinks in slow technical offroad. I am the type that can ride just about any setup or bike and make it work ok. I'll adjust sag but hardly ever touch a clicker. I swapped bikes with someone this weekend and was surprised at how much fail I'm tolerating on my Alta.

The front wheel hops off the ground in any kind of brake bump type washboarding. The front wheel will ride up on a baby head then push back on it before reaching the other side, causing the baby head to roll, deflecting the bike. Root complexes are tough as it seems the fork pushes back on the root before you clear it which slows you down and forces you to dab and push off to maintain forward momentum.

The rear tends to hop as well but not as much with the rebound damping turned all the way up.

The pegs are too low. All the ruts are created by bikes with higher pegs so I am constantly having to raise my boot off the peg to avoid rocks and roots

First question is if I'm right in assuming my rebound damping is deficient? It does seem like the fork is topping out as it hops off the backside of a small whoop

wwmotors

The MX fork in my opinion is completely underdamped. Rebound is was too less, even copletely closed. Compression in highspeed is way to low! Thias setup is not for MX, more for Enduroriding. Rebuilding that fork is useless. Buy another one!

F451

Pegs are definitely too low, borderline dangerous, I always hit my toes and sides of my feet on stuff, freaks me out. I constantly worry about getting a foot smashed bad, or sucked under a peg.

Reactions: Fod

wwmotors

Sorry, I never tuned a 4CS. I always bought a used AER 48 für about 500€ and rebuilt it back to steelspring and different damping valves. But i dont know wether there is someone in the US, who does that. only on my EXR, i kept the 4CS. For Enuro it is perfect!